Chapter 20: Christmas

'Why does this case have to be so damn complicated?'

I groan and bury my face in my hands. I hear footsteps walking towards me.

"You thinking about the case?" Dad asks. I lift my face out of my hands so I can look at him.

"Yeah."

He shakes his head, a drink in his hand.

"Stop thinking about that case. It's Christmas."

"But—"

"Christmas!" He says and puts a Santa hat on my head. The hat covers my eyes and I have to lift it up so I can see.

I smile. "Fine." I get up and walk into the kitchen where Connor is cooking. I sniff the air. "Whatever you're cooking smells good."

Connor looks back at me and smiles. "Well, I hope you enjoy it once it's done."

I notice he's not wearing a Santa hat so I grab one and come back to the kitchen. I climb onto the counter next to Connor.

"(Y/n) what are you doing? Get down before—"

He stops when I shove the Santa hat on his perfect hair. I giggle at him and he just smiles back before picking me up and placing me back on the ground. I stand on my tiptoes to try to see what he's making.

"So Connor, how does it feel? It's your first Christmas ever." Dad says as he walks into the kitchen. He leans against the wall with a drink in his hand and he takes a swing from his bottle. Connor looks back at him, giving him a soft smile before paying attention to the food.

"I'm pretty excited," Connor answers with a grin on his face. "I searched up things one does on this holiday so I know what to do." He then looks down at me. "(Y/n) you're gonna burn your hand if you don't back away from the stove."

I pout but comply. That's when Sumo waltz into the kitchen and runs around me in circles. I giggle and he runs off into the living room so I chase after him like he wants me to.

"Careful! Don't break anything!" Dad yells from the kitchen.

"I won't!" I yell back and jump on the couch. "Come here, Sumo." I pat the space next to me on the couch.

Sumo eagerly joins my side and sits next to me. He licks my face and then settles on the couch. I turn the TV on and put on Home Alone. I lay my head on Sumo's back and cuddle with him as we watch the movie.

In the middle of the movie the doorbell rings but I don't move from my spot, knowing Dad will get it.

"Markus?" I hear Dad say which causes me to sit up and turn around on the couch.

I jump up from the couch upon seeing Markus, North, Simon, Josh, and Rupert.

"Hey!" I say and go down the line, hugging all of them. "What are you guys doing here?" I ask once I'm done giving out hugs.

Connor peeks his head out of the kitchen. "I invited them. Christmas is about spending time with family and friends." He points out.

"I'm not complaining." I chuckle.

Dad just looks between Markus and Connor before finally opening the door wider to let them in. The five of them walk in but when Dad sees Rupert coming in he flips.

"Wait a second. You're the fucking android that pushed me off that damn roof." Dad growls at him.

Rupert looks at Dad in fear but there's also guilt in his eyes too. I step in front of Rupert before Dad tries to pull something.