Chapter 17: Seeing Double

I lay on the couch, staring at the ceiling as I worry for Connor. Gavin dropped me off at Dad's after I convinced him not to attack Connor.

'What if Markus can't convince him? Or what if Connor actually kills Markus?'

I shake my head of these thoughts and groan loudly. Sumo comes over to me and tilts his head. I smile and pet him.

"You wanna play, Sumo? You wanna play? Come on!" I hop off the couch, grabbing one of his toys and we play tug of war.

I laugh as we continue to fight for the toy but I let him have it. He shakes the toy in his mouth and bites down on it more.

"Sumo," I call and hold my arms out. He looks up and drops the toy and then runs at me. He tackles me to the ground and I fall back as he hovers above me licking my face. I just lay there and laugh as I scratch his head. "Good boy, Sumo."

I continue to laugh until the doorbell rings. I lean my head back to look at the upside-down front door. Sumo gets off of me and runs to the door and barks at it. I roll on my stomach and get up.

"I got it!" I yell to Dad, who's in his room.

Sumo continues to bark and I head to the door. I open it slightly to see who it is since I can't see through the peephole.

"Connor?" I say in shock and open the door wider.

Sumo jumps on him which causes him to stumble back.

"Oh. Hey, Sumo." Connor says and pats the dog.

"Connor are you okay?" I ask.

Connor manages to get Sumo off of him and nods. "Yes. I'm fine." There's a slight pause. "Can I come in?"

"Oh, yeah," I say and open the door wider to give him room to walk in. "I thought you were at Jericho. Why are you here?" I ask as I close the door behind him.

Sumo circles Connor and whines.

'He's acting weird. He's usually all over Sumo. Is Sumo trying to tell me something?'

"I'm going to wake up the androids at the CyberLife Tower. I want you to come with me." Connor answers.

Usually, I'll be happy about this but as I look at Connor I'm getting more and more suspicious.

'He's acting like he did before. Like a machine. And he's just standing there stiffly and completely ignoring Sumo. Maybe CyberLife reset him or maybe... that's not my Connor. That's just a fake.'

"Yeah. Just let me get my shoes on." I tell him.

He nods. "Of course."

I run to my room to make it seem like I'm believing every word this bastard is saying.

'I need to get rid of it.'

I put my shoes on and walk out. Dad hears me because he calls out from his closed bedroom door.

"(Y/n) who was at the door?"

"It's Connor," I tell him.

Dad opens the door to his room. "What?" He walks into the living room with me and we both walk over to 'Connor.' Dad smiles at him. "Well, how did it go?"

Connor smiles back.

'For a fake, he is pretty good at acting out emotions but I know that isn't my Connor. My Connor wouldn't ignore Sumo like that or stand there so stiffly either.'

I turn around to walk to Dad's room, knowing his gun is in there.

"(Y/n), what are you doing? We have to go." Fake Connor says, noticing me walking towards Dad's room.