Chapter 3: More Than a Machine

Connor's POV

I open my eyes and find myself in the Zen Garden. I find Amanda in the middle of the garden, watering roses.

"Hello, Amanda." I greet her.

She turns around. "Connor. It's good to see you." I smile at her. "Congratulations, Connor. Finding that deviant was far from easy, and the way you interrogated it was very clever. You've been remarkably efficient, Connor."

I smile proudly. "Thank you, Amanda."

"We've asked the DPD to transfer it to us for further study. It may teach us something about what happened. The interrogation seemed... challenging. What did you think of the deviant?"

"It showed signs of PTSD after being abused by its owner, as if its original program had been completely replaced by new instructions."

"This Lieutenant Anderson has been officially assigned to the deviancy case. What do you make of him?"

"He's obviously not what I was expecting, but I don't have enough information yet to form a definitive opinion."

Amanda nods. "What about his child?"

"(Y/n) is very smart for her age and has actually been useful to the investigation so far. She's the one who found the deviant. She also seems to suffer from PTSD about something in her past."

"What do you think is the best approach for these two?"

"I will adapt to their personalities. It is in the best interest of the investigation that I avoid conflict and try to accommodate their psychology."

Amanda ↓

Amanda turns around to finally face me. "More and more androids show signs of deviancy. There are millions in circulation. If they become unstable, the consequences will be disastrous. You are the most advanced prototype Cyberlife has ever created. If anyone can figure out what's happening, it's you."

"You can count on me, Amanda."

She starts walking away but then turns around. "Hurry, Connor. There's little time."

                                                                ...

"Excuse me. Do you know what time Lieutenant Anderson usually arrives?" I ask officer Wilson once I find Hank's desk.

"Depends on where he was the night before. If we're lucky, we'll see him before noon." He answers me.

"Thanks."

I sit down in the chair next to the Lieutenant's desk but stand up to examine his desk instead.

'Maybe if I learn more about Lieutenant Anderson I can adapt to his personality.'

I pick up the headphones that are left on his desk and bring them to my ear. I press the play button and loud music starts playing through the headphones. I scan it and find out the song is called 'Knights of the Black Death.'

'Hank likes heavy metal.'

I put down the headphones and scan the rest of his desk. I find anti-android slogans, a Detroit basketball cap, matches, donuts, a coffee cup, dog hairs, a Red Ice task force photo, and a little Japanese maple tree.

'Lieutenant Anderson was a decorated officer.'

I then look at the desk across from Lieutenant Anderson's. It doesn't have a name tag on it, but someone obviously uses it. Most likely (Y/n). I walk around Lieutenant Anderson's desk and examine her desk.