Episode Two - Chapter Six

Mom has left for work again and said she won't be home till the end of the week. I'm laying out on the back porch soaking up some sun rays while eating some of the food mom had brought home when I hear John B's van.

"Hey!'' I yell to him as I jump in the passenger seat. "What on the agenda today?" I ask as he puts the van in reverse.

"First on the list pick up the pogues," he says heading for town.

I roll the window down letting the wind blow through my hair. This is what I love most about living right next to John B, I'm normally the first one picked up meaning I get the front seat 80% of the time. Which is nice, also means i get to control the music 80% of the time. Which Kie loves as we play, music that annoys the guys, mainly for fun, half the time we don't even like the songs ourselves. We actually have a joint playlist with nothing but songs the guys hate.

We stop at Pope's place seeing Pope trying to get a backup generator to work and JJ leaning against the wall being no help at all. John B honks the horn and waves them both over. JJ walks around and opens my passenger door while Pope gets in the back. "What?" I ask , looking at him. He ignores me and grabs my waist pulling me from the car and walking me to the back and putting me down next to Pope. "I call shotgun!" He says jumping into the seat I was just sitting in. Pope looks at me and shrugs his shoulders getting up and sliding the van door closed.

JJ and John B talk to each other about random stuff as we head to Kie's dad's restaurant, the wreck. It's highly popular with tourists and some of the locals. Sometimes her dad lets us eat there for free right before closing, normally the stuff he would have to chuck because people haven't eaten it during the day. Not that i'm complaining, it's good food.

John B pulls up outside the front of the restaurant and Pope jumps out of the van and rams inside to go get Kie. But soon comes out saying "She says she's not coming'."

"Why not? What'd you do to her, John B?" JJ says shifting in his seat to face John B.

"Shit. Hang on. I'll deal with it." John B gets out of the van and runs inside the restaurant.

"What's that about?" Pope asks, me getting in the van and sitting back down.

"What makes you think I know?" I ask him

"You and Kie have that like girl code mind connection thing right?" JJ says turning in his seat so he can see Pope and I.

"What are you talking about JJ?" I asked him. "Doesn't John B tell you everything? Don't you know what's going on?" I throwback at JJ.

"Oh, here they are," Pope says, watching John B and Kie exit the restaurant.

It's now dark outside and John B still hasn't really told us what is going on.

Kie is now in the front seat and JJ has been booted to the back with Pope and I.

"You mind if I just relax on this one? It's been a long day, and a lot of weird stuff's gone down. I'm just gonna lay low. Oh, did you want a hit of this?" JJ says holding his joint out past me towards Pope.

"I keep the signal clear," Pope says, pushing away JJs hand.

"Dude, okay. Do you understand that your problem is that you don't get creative? If you got creative, then-- " JJ starts stopping when I reach out, taking the joint from his hand and bringing it to my lips.

"Look, I-- I know I was wrong about the lighthouse, all right? And wrong about everything else going on. But I-- I was right about one thing. Okay? My dad is trying to tell me something." John B says finally speaking what's been on his mind most of this drive.