Episode One - Chapter Eight

We all piled on to the boat as soon as John B got back from '' borrowing,, the scuba gear. Once we arrived where the boat was, Kie took a look at tanks getting ready to set the gear up.

"This is empty. You took empty tanks?" Kie said, looking at the meter on the tank.

"I... " John B from sitting beside her.

Okay, this one's a quarter full. " she says looking up at us all "It's enough for one of us."

"Love it when a plan comes together. " Pope interjects from where he is sitting beside me.

"Does anybody know how to dive?" Kie asks

"It's kind of a Kook sport," JJ says looking over all of us avoiding eye contact knowing he should have thought of this before suggesting the plan.

"I... read about it," Pope says.

"Great, Pope read about it, so someone's gonna die." Kie was starting to get angry and frustrated.

"Look, y-you put the thing in your mouth and breathe. How hard could it be?" JJ states as if diving is no big deal.

"If you come up too fast, nitrogen gets into your blood, and you get the bends," Pope states sharing what he's read with the rest of us.

-Bends like, bend over and... " JJ jokes bending over sticking his butt out.

"The bends kill you," I say looking at JJ seriously

"Right." JJ stands back up looking down at the bottom of the boat.

"I can-- I can dive." John B says half-heartedly, Kie looks at him, with slight disbelief.

"You can dive. I'm cool with that." Jj says still looking down to the floor of the boat.

" Since when can you dive?" anger rising in her voice as she turns to face John B.

"I'll do it. It's fine." John B says brushing her off.

"Let me do some calculations real quick," Pope says jumping up to grab his notebook. I follow him and watch what he's doing trying to see if I can help in any way.

Are you serious? I hear Kie and John B in the background.

"That boat's about 30 feet down," Pope says looking at me for reassurance.

"Yeah" I replied nodding my head.

"So it'll take 25 minutes at that depth." Pope continues

"Twenty-five." John B repeats.

" Which means you need to make your safety stop at about... ten feet," I interject.

"All right? For two minutes." Pope tells John B

"Yeah, yeah. Ten feet, two minutes. Got it." John B says as we see Kie jump off the side of the boat.

"Uh... " John B, JJ and I all say as we watch.

"What was that all about? " Pope asks and all the boys turn to me hoping for an answer.

"Don't look at me" I say walking over to the side of the boat.

"I don't know, but I liked it. A lot." JJ says looking at the water where Kie just jumped in. I roll my eyes, catching a glimpse of the sympathetic look on John B,s face.

All righty." Pope says

"Yeah. Uh, when you-- uh, when you're down there, you look for the cargo hold.

You stick this thing inside and twist and pull, okay? " JJ tells John B holding up some sort of key thing.

"Stick in, twist, pull. " John B askes making sure he got it right.