9

Me: Hey, dad. Sorry. I know it's been a while, but I bought you some flowers.

I swapped out the almost dead sunflowers from their holder, dumped them, and replaced them with the white roses I picked up on my way here. I laid out my blanket in front of his gravestone, and muted my phone. When I come out here, I like to pretend that the stone is him, and that he talks to me too.

Me: I thought of you when I bought this shirt. Felt like you'd like the color.

Dad: I do like it. Looks very nice on you, Nari. What's new?

Me: Not much is new. I go to work. I come home. I eat.

Dad: Are you exercising? You need to exercise, Nari. Look at you. You're getting-

Me: I don't exercise enough. It's bad.

Dad: I never had a real concern for you. You eat like a bird. But you can't eat eat eat and expect to stay stable.

Me: It's ok. I'm going to start going on jogs more often. Do something for my stomach. But it's not going to be anything intense.

Dad: Doesn't have to be. Just do something to stay healthy. How are those roommates of yours?

Me: Sooji and Mari are Sooji and Mari. They have been fighting a lot.

Dad: Why is that?

Me: No reason at all. Guess what?

Dad: What?

Me: I'm going house hunting today.

Dad: Did you go to mass today? It's sunday?

Me: I'll go to church next week. But today I'm going to start looking at apartments midtown.

Dad: Upgrading. Good for you, Nari.

Me: Thank you. I'm really excited about it.

Dad: Are you sure about moving? Moving out too young could be destructive. I'd never allow it. You'd still be living with me if I had it my way.

Me: *quietly* I wish it could be you and me still.

Dad: It still is, Nari. It still is.

Me: *smiling* Well, I have to get going. I'm supposed to meet my friend in a few minutes.

Dad: When are you coming again?

Me: I'll be back in a few days. And get you more white roses.

Dad: Bye, butterfly.

Me: Bye, dad.

I kissed the top of his headstone, dusted off, and packed up from the cemetery. As I was driving out, I could feel that today was going to be a good one. I flipped my sunglasses over my eyes and started my car.

Kylee lives with her younger brother not far from the salon. Though, most of the time when I go over there, he's not home, usually doing something for school. He's one of the versatile students who are in every single club the school has to offer. Kylee invited me upstairs to her condo, gesturing me towards the barstool.

Kylee: Ok, beautiful. I was up all last night and these are some places I found in your price range.

Me: Cool. Thanks house hunters.

Kylee: What?

Me: Nevermind.

Kylee: *laughing* Alright. So I think we should start north then work our way down.