Chapter 20 | Familiar lands?

My knuckles turn white as my grip tightens around the handle of my plain white suitcase.

I was standing anxiously in the queue to check in for my 10:15 flight.

Jessie was standing beside me, soaking up the final few minutes she would able to browse on her phone before we boarded the aircraft.

The family in front of us was frantically searching through one of the bags, the parents a nervous wreck, but their toddler was happily giggling at whatever cartoon he was watching, clutching something in his hand.

"Where is that passport!" The mother anxiously mutters to what I assume is her husband.

The toddler drops whatever was in his mouth, and starts crying.

I lean forward and pick it up, handing the passport to the parents, who smile gratefully at me, before turning to comfort the disgruntled child.

Jessie finally puts down her phone, pulling a silly face at the almost quiet kid.

"This line is taking forever." Jessie complains, "we'll miss our flight at this rate."

I grin at her, "don't be dramatic."

Jessie starts looking around, her mouth watering as she looks at the Burger King.

My stomach churns in hunger as I follow her line of gaze, but I reprimand myself.

I can't, I won't.

Luckily, I'm distracted as one of the airline staff members waves us forward.

I hand her my luggage, as she scans my ticket, before stepping aside to let Jessie do the same.

"Right, we have over two hours to get through security." I fuss over my watch.

Jessie adjusts her hand luggage as we step onto the escalator, "hopefully we'll have some time to shop, I want some food for the flight."

I nod, only half listening.

The flight was around 11 hours from LHR to SFO, with no stops.

We get into the security line, but I'm immediately met with a few fans.

I don't manage to say anything because I'm so shocked, but security sees the crowd and Jessie and I get pulled into a separate line and are through in under five minutes with first class upgrades.

"That was strange." I say to Jessie when we get into the main area.

"You're a celebrity." She teases.

I scoff, "hardly, I just met a few fans, I feel bad that I didn't say anything to them."

"It's not your fault." She replies, before pulling me into duty free.

An hour later, Jessie has bags of perfume, makeup, sunglasses, and more candy than I could ever dream to stomach.

I however, have a protein bar and some mints, despite Jessie's constant urging to buy more.

Due to our upgrades we have priority boarding, and will be on the plane before everyone else.

Jessie leaves me to sit in the first class lounge while she goes to buy drinks, apparently ignoring my reminders that we are first class now, and will get food and drink.

I politely decline a complimentary massage, and instead take to wandering around.

The Virgin Clubhouse covered a large part of terminal three, and was a lot quieter than the rest of the terminal.

There was a constant sound of running water, though I was unable to locate the sound, and the air smelled of lavender and wood.

I was offered a swim, a facial and even a resting room.

I take them up on the swim offer, and walk to the pool, not before shooting Jessie a text to let her know where I am.

She returns with another bag of stuff, before joining me in the empty pool.

"This is massively extra." She remarks, sitting on the step beside me.

"I don't even feel like we're in an airport." I agree.

"I'm trying to enjoy it before the stress of being on a plane hits me."

I nod in agreement, remembering how sick I felt whenever they bring food out on the plane.

The announcement rings through that we have half an hour left, so we get out, shower, re get ready and get into the small car that will take us to our gate.

We board in under ten minutes, and are greeted with first class pods.

"This is very different from my flight over." I say hesitantly, unable to fully relax.

"I'm not complaining." Jessie squeals, pushing the button to turn her seat into a bed, and then making it return to a seat.

We rifle through the amenities located around the seat while boarding continues.

"The TV!" Jessie says, poking at the various buttons.

I laugh and unpack some of my luggage.

I pop a quick pill, and swallow some water, hoping to calm the nerves that always came with flying.

"I am so ready for this." Jessie says, relaxing into her chair.

The bell dings as the safety video starts.

Not fifteen minutes later, the plane pulls away from the gate and starts down the runway.

My eyes squeeze shut, and I grip muffin.

Jessie hoots occasionally in excitement, apparently pumped for this 11 hour journey.

I don't share the same feelings.

When we finally start cruising, my hold on poor muffin loosens, and I start to relax.

Jessie has settled into watching a film, so I scroll through my options.

Finally the feeling of crushing anxiety subsides and I'm able to enjoy the journey.

I watch a few films, taking full advantage of the bed feature.

The amazing menu taunts me, so I shove it under my seat, sucking on a few mints.

"Woah look at this." Jessie shows me the page of her magazine for what seventh time.

I obediently sniff the perfume sample, not wanting to damped her obvious excitement.

"They have movies that are only in cinemas now!" Jessie gushes, frantically scrolling.

I wander off the toilet, returning only to watch a few more films, play some games on the small screen beside me, and then a few more films, before the announcement comes.

"Ladies and gentlemen we will soon be making our descendant into San Fransisco, so please fasten your seatbelts and return your seats to an upright position."

I swipe muffin up into my arms, and stare out the window as the ground gets closer and closer.

The plane screeches across the runway, and I take a deep breathe.

The anxiety over the plane landing is long gone as I step off the plane, but a new wave hits me.

This is it.

I'm home, to the place that destroyed my home.