Chapter 37 | Silently Screaming?

Forty five minutes later, some excruciating time spent in traffic and some terrible radio songs, we arrive at my house.

I don't even bother to wait for Sebastian, running out of the car and into the house.

In my head buzz around my thoughts, I can't string a coherent thought together, but I know what I need to do.

First I barrel into the kitchen, forcing all the drawers open and searching them.

Sebastian walks in to see me, a confused look on his face, but doesn't press for an explanation.

"The book." I say, still rifling through the drawers.

"The what?" He asks.

"Trinities, my dad's copy."

He pulls it out of my bag, sliding it across the counter to me.

I use one hand to flick through the pages, the other still frantically searching through the drawer.

Realising I suck at multitasking, I yank the drawer out of its place, emptying its contents onto the counter, before finding the page I wanted.

The page with the names.

I scan through as quickly as possible and sure enough, my hunch was right.

Katia's name. Right on the page.

I still don't know why yet, as from what both girls have told me, Katia didn't have much involvement.

I'd assumed Thea's name was there because she was a victim, but Katia had had next to no contact with any of them.

Wait

I look closer, holding the book up to my face.

Faintly, as if rubbed out, there is a line through her name.

Someone crossed her name out. But that line was removed.

Why?

Did my dad do that?

I abandon that train of thought, knowing I'm not going to get the answer now, and focusing on my second hunch.

The kitchen drawers turn up empty, so I dash into the living room, too riled up to explain to Sebastian what was going on.

Emptying every drawers contents onto the floor, I still come up empty.

Growing desperate, I look under the sofa, between the cushions, before once again abandoning it and running upstairs.

I run along the hallway, and into my parents room, scanning the dresser and chest of drawers.

When I once again don't find what I'm looking for and sigh in annoyance, sitting on the bed to take a second to think and allow my mind to stop spinning.

Every drawer in here was practically empty since we moved out, the downstairs only containing a few items we'd left behind.

Sebastian walks in, "care to explain what on gods green earth you are doing?"

When Maddie and I were younger, we got it in our heads that the locked drawer in my dad's office was filled with candy. So we made it our mission to somehow open that drawer.

Our dad caught us one day searching his office and asked what we were doing. We told him, hoping that if we were honest we'd get the candy.

He laughed, saying that the key wasn't in his study. We'd tore the place apart searching, so it clearly wasn't. He then explained that there was nothing else but boring work stuff in there.

When we'd asked why it was locked, he told us that it's because it was confidential client information.

This information immediately made us forget our curiosity for the drawer, and we never tried to open it again.

I don't think he was lying about that, I think there is something in that drawer that can help.

If only I can just find that stupid key!" I kick the dresser in frustration.

Sebastians eyes widen, "do that again."

"What?"

"Kick the dresser." He urges.

"But it kind of hurt and I did it to vent my frustrations."

"Shush shush just do it again."

"Alright weirdo." I raise an eyebrow, kicking the dresser again.

It squeaks on its legs, it's hinges making a sharp rattling and clanging sound.

"Do you hear that?" He asks.

"Yes I do hear the crazy person talking." I say sarcastically.

"Answer the question."

"Did I hear the sound of the dresser creaking because it's OLD. Yes."

"Did you hear that clanging sound."

"It's probably just the hinges or something. Now please tell me why I just had to kick it."

"That's not a hinge." He walks over to it, pulling the drawer out.

"Okay I know I was doing the whole cryptic answer thing but it's not as fun being on the receiving end."

He offers no answer, twisting so he can put his arm where the drawer just was.

"What on earth are you doing?!" I ask.

"Got it!" He pulls his arm out triumphantly, a gold key in hand.

I leap up from the bed, "YOU'RE A GENIUS." I pull him in for a tight hug.

"I know."

I pull away from him, about to move my hand to grab the key, before realising he hasn't let go.

We stand awkwardly for a second, his arms still around my waist, as I stand with mine pressed together.

"Seb? It's time to let go now."

"What?"

"The key? The drawer?" I remind him.

"Oh yes!" He let's go, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly, "sorry I spaced out."

I'm way too excited about the key to overthink what just happened, and I grab it from his still outstretched hand.

"Come on slowpoke!"

I run out the room, and into my dads study.

Sebastian joins me as I sit cross legged on the floor, putting the key in the lock and feeling a rush of excitement when it clicks into place, allowing me to easily turn it.

I pull it out, before taking everything inside and placing it on the desk.

Rifling through it, I pull out some papers.

"Marcus?" Sebastian asks, reading off the names.

"My dads work friend." I don't feel like explaining it all, pushing the paper away to look through later.

"This looks important." Sebastian picks up a file.

I squeal with joy, grabbing it and flicking through.

"YES!! This is a case file! The case file with everything about my dad's case!"

I dance excitedly, "this is it! I may finally get some answers and this can all be over."

Tears of joy stream down my face, as Sebastian pulls me into a hug.

I'm anxious to open the file again, so start pulling away, but am stopped.

I turn again to look at Sebastian, intent on asking him why he hadn't let go again, but I'm unable to as before I know what's happening, he's kissing me.