Chapter 48 | Beginning?

TW// Gun violence, semi graphic descriptions

"Carlisle you need to give me an explanation RIGHT THE HELL NOW." I bark at him as soon as he stops dragging me across the field.

Most of the graduates have left by now.

"Listen I can't explain what happened back there right now, simply because I don't fully know it myself. But there's something more important."

"More important than that?!"

"Yes." He gives me a firm look telling me to shut up and let him finish explaining, "for starters what the hell do you think you're doing."

I ignore his pointed look, "I was ending this."

"If by this you mean your life then this problem isn't as big as I thought."

"It was working. Until Katia showed up." I trail off, the new information still buzzing in my mind.

"What exactly was your plan?"

"Well. We called them."

"Them?"

"Someone in the scourge."

I can tell he's about to loose his shit with me but I carry on anyway, "and I told them that I would repay their debt today, assuming it was money, and I was going to hand it to them."

"It's not money." He says flatly.

"What?!" I feel like my heart has dropped through my chest, "YOU KNOW WHAT IT WAS."

Carlisle doesn't respond.

"ALL THIS TIME YOU'VE LIED TO ME. YOU KNEW THE WHOLE TIME."

"There was no point in telling you because it's not something you can repay."

"YOU LET ME RUN AROUND FOR MONTHS TRYING TO FIGURE IT OUT."

"Look we can talk about all of that later, there's something much more important now."

I completely ignore him, "YOU CALLED ME EVERY HOUR FRETTING ABOUT SEBASTIAN, WHEN YOU KNEW THE VERY ANSWER WE WERE LOOKING FOR."

"Lizzie, I still have to tell you about Sebastian, please just listen I need to-"

"NO. I'M NOT GOING TO STAND AROUND AND LET YOU LIE TO ME ANYMORE." I turn around and storm off.

It's immature. It's childish. I'm in a school field, with murderers lurking around everywhere who were here because of me.

In retrospect maybe our plan was foolish.

I'm so angry.

Angry at myself, angry at Carlisle, angry at Marcus.

But I'm scared.

The scourge are here.

Right now.

I asked them to be.

The plan has gone to shit.

Katia is part of the scourge?

Oh my god there's murderers here right now.

I have no idea what to do.

Maybe I should-

My train of thought is cut off as I slam into something.

Or someone.

"I'm sorry I just-" I step back, but stop immediately, "Sebastian?!"

He looks down at me, a grim look on his face, bruises all over his neck and a ghastly cut across his cheek.

"Sebastian what are you doing here I thought I said-"