Dated

I ran my fingers through my hair as I tried to manage the unruly strands. Nervousness pulsing through my veins while I brushed off the imaginary crumbs off my clothes as I stepped out the car. Frankly, still a little confused how Arthit had really agreed to go on a date with me, but I am pretty sure after he had lifted his jaw off the floor from the shock he just gave a brief, wordless nod. Our argument still hanging between us as if we had agreed to put a small pause on it for now.

And that is how our relationship remained for the whole week while we waited for his brother to get discharged from the hospital. We didn't meet. We didn't speak. We didn't even text each other. We, or atleast I, simply waited impatiently until one day I got a hesitant call from him.

"Hello?"

"Arthit! Hi! How are you? Are you home yet? Are you eating properly? Are you..."

"Do you still want to go out on that date?"

"YES! Yes, I want to."

"Oh okay. Tomorrow then?"

"I will be there. 8 pm ok?"

And so here we are. Exactly at 7:00, standing outside his door, trying to muster all the finesse I might posses to make sure today ended up beyond spectacular that wrapped up nicely with a perfect little confession, which hopefully kicks off a new era of our relationship.

I know I was much too early for our date but I didn't think I could wait to see his smile any longer. It seems I haven't seen it for much too long. He would end up smiling by the end of our date right?

Raising my fist up high, about to knock to let him know I had arrived, I suddenly heard raised voices coming from the other side. An argument the participants were not really trying very hard to conceal.

"Are you seriously going out with that asshole?"

"Did you stop understanding words when I told you the first time around?"

"Have you gone completely out of your mind? This is the worst idea ever."

"And you would know all about bad ideas."

"I am serious Arthit. You simply can't go out with him."

"I am serious too. I am going and nothing you can say will stop me."

"That man is going to chew you alive and spit you out without sparing a single goddamn thought of what happens to you after."

"As if you spend all your free time caring about me?"

"Oh my God Arthit, can't you see why this is such a horrible idea? Why are you being so stubborn?"

"I clearly learned from the best."

"And then what about me?"

"What about you?"

"What happens to me while you go gallivanting around town with your supposed lover boy?"

"What does it have to do with you at all?"

"You are just waiting to abandon me, arent you?"

"What the fuck is wrong with you? Don't you think if I wanted to drop your ass for trying to ruin my life over and over again I would have done it already."

"You really think that man isn't going to tell you to dump your dead beat brother. He already told you that, didn't he? He has warned you off about me. That is why you were all depressed and crying that week. And you are still going to go out with him?"

"What I do and don't do is really not your business."

"Then who else's business would it be?"

"What do you even want from me?"