Chapter 18

I woke up the next morning to the sun shining through Liam's window. Rolling over, I saw that he was still asleep on the floor. I checked my phone to see that Stiles had texted me saying that Lydia never came home from the police station and that I should go and check on her. Stretching, I got up quietly and grabbed my clothes. Walking over to Liam's desk, I wrote a note.

"Liam,

I need to go and check on Lydia at the station. Sorry I didn't wake you. I also wore your clothes home. Sorry again. I'll talk to you later.

Love,

Ashlyn."

I sat it down next to him on the floor. Quietly, I made my way out of the house and into my car. The drive to my house was quick and I just ran in to change into some leggings. I then slipped on my maroon vans to go with the maroon shirt Liam gave me. I decided to be lazy and wear the same shirt I slept in. I put my hair up in a messy bun, wiped all of my makeup off, then made my way downstairs. I picked up an apple on my way out then drove to the station.

"Let me try." I heard Lydia say as I walked into the station.

"No, we've already discussed this." Sheriff said.

"Discussed what?" I asked as I walked up to them.

"Her talking to Meredith. She may or may not be the Benefactor and made up the dead pool."

"Wait, Meredith's alive?! I thought she was..." I'm so confused.

"I've gotten through to her before. Just let me try." Lydia pleaded.

Sheriff gave up and finally let Lydia try and talk to Meredith. I was brought into the room as well. She started asking questions, Meredith didn't talk though. Looking at her, I felt like I was looking at a ghost. I was there when Lydia found out that she had killed herself.

"I think I'm getting the idea of how this all happened. You used Brunski, right? You knew he'd kill people, and that he would do it again. He used my grandmother's code for the dead pool. He put it online. He took the money from the Hale vault, then turned the bearer bonds into cash. He made the payments. Was it Brunski's idea to fake your death? Did he get nervous because you helped up with one of the cipher keys?" Lydia paced around the room, stopping to put her hands on the table.

"I wanted to help." Meredith finally spoke.

"All you ever wanted to do was help. Is that why you're here? I know you wouldn't want to be here if you didn't want to talk."

"I do. But only to one person."

"Who?" I asked her.

"Peter. Peter Hale."

*****

"Her? That's the girl that stole my money?" Peter pointed at Meredith in the interrogation room. We were on the other side of the one sided window.

"That girl is a Banshee. They're more dangerous than you think." Lydia sassed.

"Oh, I think that girl's pilot light went out a long time ago. Sheriff, not to question the unquestionably sterling reputation of your department, but are you absolutely sure you got the one?"

"How about you just go in there and see what she has to say?" Stilinski snapped.

Peter sighed and stepped into the room that Meredith and Parrish were. 

"Who's shirt is that?" Lydia asked.

"Um..." I blushed.

"Liam's. How cute." Lydia nudged me.