Chapter 12

Waking up early on a Saturday morning is not what I would have liked to do. But I have to take the PSATs. Sadly. And it didn't help that I was up late last night studying. I got up and slipped on some sweatpants and an old t shirt. If I'm going to be sitting in an uncomfortable chair for 3 hours, I want to be slightly comfortable. I put my hair up in a bun and put some mascara on. So I didn't look so dead. As I was walking downstairs, I got a text from Liam.

"Morning."

I smiled. "Morning."

"Wow. Wouldn't have expected you to text back this early(;"

"Haha. Funny."

"I was wondering if you wanted to hang out today? Possibly?"

"I thought you'd be mad at me."

"Why would I be mad at you?"

"The whole lake house trick thing?" I made my bagel and sat down.

"Nah. You were just trying to help. And you didn't really have much of a choice."

"Well I did choose to be the one to ask you. It was either Kira or myself."

"Glad it was you."

"Really?"

"Yeah. And it would be great if you could hang out today."

"I'm so sorry. I have the PSATs :("

"Aw. That sucks. I wish you could."

"Wish I could too, Liam."

"Well, good luck then! Text me when you're out?"

"Will do(: bye Liam."

"Bye Ashlyn."

I read his last text with a smile on my face. Grabbing my phone and keys, I walked out to my car and drove to the school. I met up with Kira, Scott, Malia, and Stiles once I got there.

"Where's Lydia?" Kira asked.

"She took it her freshman year." Stiles said.

"Does that mean I could have taken it some other time?" Malia asked.

"Malia, you studied harder for this than any of us." Scott smiled at her.

"Doesn't mean I'm gonna do good."

"Not with that attitude." I sassed.

"Well..." Stiles spoke up.

"Well, what?" Malia asked.

"It's do well, not good."

"Oh, God!" Malia panicked. "Okay, okay." She started taking deep breaths.

"You're doing this, because while we're trying not to die, we still need to live, If I survive high school, I'd like to go to college. A good college." Scott smiled.

"It's only three hours. We can survive three hours." Kira smiled. I have a feeling that she just jinxed it.

We got processed and put our phones in bags in the front of the room. I sat down next to Kira and took a deep breath.

"Please do not open the test booklet until you are instructed to do so. This test is two hours and 10 minutes. There will be two 25-minute critical reading sections two 25-minute math sections and an essay writing portion that will last 30 minutes. There are supposed to be two teachers monitoring this exam." The man looked at Lydia's mom.

"I know. It's Coach. He's not exactly practical. Um, let me just try him again." She walked out of the classroom. She came back a few minutes later without Coach. "I can't find him, but Mr. Yukimura is upstairs grading papers. Do you want me to try him?"