Chapter 34

Chapter 34

It had been two months since Odin’s proposal for Loki and Sigyn to be married. Frigga had arranged for everything to be perfect. She did it with a heavy heart, but she did it none the less. Once her husband spoke nothing could be done. There was no one higher than him in the kingdom. She sometimes wished she were not the second in command. Frigga knew the hearts of her sons and husband. She knew Odin wasn’t always wise; he tried to be, but even he made mistakes.

Meanwhile Loki was agitated. Balder had told him of the dreams of death coming to him and torturing him in the worst ways. Balder didn’t die; he was just wracked with pain and agony. They became worse every year. They would not leave. This worried Loki. He loved his younger brother dearly, and wanted to help him. Every charm or potion he tried was in vain though. It bothered him to no end.

He also had to go through with an arranged marriage. He would gain an enemy, and be scorned even more. He had been able to make it through the laughter of Sleipnir, but being accused of impregnating Sigyn was sure to destroy every light of happiness in Loki. There was too much at stake for the both of them. It meant both would be cursed with the misfortune of adultery; which neither of them had committed.

Loki was on his knees looking up to the heavens. He wanted answers. He wanted to know how to stop this procession, why Gallana wasn’t intervening, and why he seemed to be cursed to live with all .of Asgard disliking him so. He knew his love would know the answers; he did not think she would tell him if he asked though. She would say the time was not right; that all would be explained in time. Or she would tell him, but not in great length or detail.

Hence Loki was resigned to be kept in the dark until the time came for him to know the truth. He wished to know at that moment. He knew he must be patient though. He was thankful patience was one of his greatest allies. It was always rewarding to him. He smiled at this thought and readied himself for the wedding.

Sigyn wept as her ladies-in-waiting prepared her for her marriage to Loki second prince of Asgard. She wanted no part of him. She thought she would be able to sympathize with Loki; instead she was loathing him. She could not find it in her heart to see that he was in as much misery as he was. She believed more and more this was his fault.

She had also talked with Theoric much over the last couple of months. He did nothing to help keep these thoughts at bay. He believed Loki had plotted this; he never had been fond of Theoric. Why would he not cause him grief? They had not liked each other since they were children. That wasn’t going to change. It was very obvious.

“Why must he go meandering off with other women? Especially that woman! Oh, I love Gallana, and Loki is one of my friends; but they always seem to cause trouble and harm. It is mainly upon themselves; every once in a while though it effects others. This is one of the worse ones.

I know I shouldn’t complain. Loki is a great man and a friend, but I do not love him. Theoric will surely plan ways to rue Loki. He does not deserve that; I do not deserve this though! My mother will disown and abandon me. My friends will leave me. I do not know if I will e able to bear this.

Loki would change this if he could; he cannot though. Gallana would be able to, she has left us though. Besides, Odin would not be pleased about it in the end. He detests Gallana for some reason. Perhaps it is because she is wiser and more powerful than he is. She has always been higher than our beloved king. And no man likes a woman to outdo him.” Sigyn rambled

Her servants listened silently, knowing all too well the truth of the matter. They knew their place; they would not say a word. If they did the punishment and consequences would never end. Odin was kind, but there were some things he liked left in the dark. If they appeared he was wrathful towards the perpetrators. The maids and ladies-in-waiting only looked at each other with the knowledge they had. Then they busied themselves even more vigorously than before, as if to make their Lady’s dress perfect.