Chapter 8

I was in pain. Not that it should be a surprise really because I am constantly in trouble of some sort, especially recently. I should have gained at least a small immunity to some of it but I was aching in every limb possible much to my luck.

I shouldn't have just left school and gone to the forest and while it was good while it lasted the consequences of sneaking out of school were something that I would rather not repeat.

I readjust my hair again, feeling naked under the bright light of the classroom. My finger brushing inadvertently over the sore and open cut over my cheek, I tried to hide it but that was useless. I probably shouldn't have come to school, but I'm also too scared to stay at the house. I was stuck in limbo, too scared to go back and too scared to try and run. I'm in a vicious look that I can't escape from.

It took a long time to make sure all the glass pieces were out of my skin, time I could've spent sleeping so right now I was trying to keep my eyes open.

My own eyes flick over the room, Xavier's back to me like always now. And it hurt more than it should, and I resent myself for having let him hurt me like this too. I should have learned, shouldn't I? That people always end up hurting you one way or another.

I lift my bag over my shoulder as the bell rang and I waited until everyone left through the door at the front, I was not about to let anyone see my face. Once the room was cleared I carefully made my way out and began my slow walk to first period.

Just as I rounded a corner I stopped dead in my tracks at the sight in front of me, hands shaking I maneuvered my hair self consciously, to make sure it was covering the side of my face.

"Jackson." I'm not sure what to do, I can barely look at him.

He breaks the silence, sweat accumulating in the palms of my hands. "I need to talk to you."

"I don't think that's a -" My words are lost on him as he grasps hold of my wrist gently and pulls me out of the nearest door and took me outside onto the school field.

I was beginning to feel a little bit nervous as we passed into the realms of the trees, I glanced upwards and let my eyes linger on his back where the muscles on his back tensed as he walked ahead of me.

Finally, we stopped and he pulled me in front of him. I immediately put space between us, stepping backward so maybe then I won't crave touching him anymore.

The silence is almost painful, I shuffle on my feet feeling the mud and dead leaves mold under the pressure of my shifting weight. My eyes flick up to his instantly when I hear him speak though, he's trying to sound angry but there's a catch in the back of it that tells me he's hurt.

"Why?" My eyes widen, digging my hands into my pockets and trying to avoid his intense gaze. It made me feel trapped, naked, a target.

"I don't know wha-" My voice came out reluctant and he cuts me off before I can finish, snapping at me so all I can do is bite my lip to keep it from trembling.

"Don't play dumb! You know exactly what I'm talking about!" I give him a subtle nod, knowing what he means even if it didn't make sense why he would know it. But Xavier knew it somehow, so there was nothing stopping Jackson.

"Why did you string me along when you knew exactly what I was all this time? you knew how much it would hurt when you slept with him... you knew how much it would have hurt when you let him mark you. So just do me a favor and just tell me the truth, was I not good enough? Is there something wrong with me?" His voice breaks at the end, I shake my head feeling the well of tears in my own eyes as I watch him look at me desperately.