Chapter 9

We're dead. 

He's coming.

My eyes were swollen, tired. The same voice on repeat in my head. Demanding and threatening.

I think I might be losing it, if I'm honest, I'm surprised I lasted this long. Living on the brink of survival does that to a person, living in constant fear would force anyone into a breakdown.

I bring my hand up to wipe the tears from my eyes, scrubbing away the sleep from the corner of my eyes. My hands fall to my side, the soft textured blanket covering my exposed upper body.

I grab hold of the blanket right within my hand and bring it up closer to my skin. I didn't want to look at it either, the bruises on my arms are enough as it is. 

I survey the room, similar to the nurses room at school. I was laid on a bed of sorts now though which wasn't particularly comfortable but it was better than what I'm used to.

I lay there clutching the blanket around me as I listened to the silence surrounding me in the dim room.

He knew, about the scars... about pretty much everything. He only needed to see my body to work out everything else and now he could very well be in danger.

I had to get back before they noticed I was gone, this could still be rectified if I just get back.
Maybe I'll suffer an extra beating, but I can handle that. With that in mind I wrap the blanket around my body and after much quiet swearing from the pain in my shoulder I clumsily stood up and searched the room for something to wear.

With my painful shoulder I held the blanket to my body and used my other arm to rummage through drawers, I noticed a backpack under one of the desks and grabbed to search inside. I know I shouldn't be snooping but I needed something so I could get out.

I sighed in relief at the sight of a blue hoodie stuffed inside the back pack and quickly replaced the blanket with the comfortable material.

"I have time, it's fine." I whispered to myself, giving me hope that I could make it. It must be early morning, the sun is barely coming over the trees as I slide open the window. I stop to listen for any sounds from within the building before sticking my head out of the window to search for anyone wandering around.

With everything clear I efficiently slipped out the window, at least this is on the ground floor... I would be stuffed otherwise.

I ignored all my aches and pains as per usual and walked away from the building skillfully checking every direction possible for anybody. I couldn't help myself from starting to run as I entered the deep looming forest, I could only listen to my sharp intake of breaths as my body struggled to cope with the physical exercise.

After a few minutes of running, I began to recognize tracks in the forest knowing exactly where I was from the house. I slowed down to a walk, following the track trying to calm my nerves as I got closer and closer to the track leading on to the road.

I stepped out into the clearing by the road side and made the dreadful walk back to the house, it was early in the morning I could tell, the roads were extremely quiet and no one was on the streets.

Walking up the steps of the house, I couldn't help but sense something was off. I wrapped my hand around the door handle and pushed down on it to open the door. Stepping quietly into the house I closed the door silently behind me, there was not a single sound coming from the house. A dead silence.

A cold draft hit my skin making goosebumps rise and shivers erupt across my skin, I made my way into the kitchen stopping in my tracks at the sight of destruction. Blood splattered across the counter tops and smeared across the floor, heading back into the back door as if someone had been dragged.