Chapter 17

I breathed in the cool air around me, letting it refresh my lungs from the muggy air of the doctors room. This was the first time I had been outside in nearly 3 weeks and I couldn't be happier.

My feet glided through the grass, wet with morning dew as the water soaked my bare feet. 

Jackson was inside the building still, probably unaware of my little adventure outside but I couldn't stand being inside one moment longer. 

It was as if my body was moving on its own accord as I reached the border of the thick forest, entering it feeling relieved. I walked for a few more minutes before finding a mossy patch of ground beneath a tree and gently laying my body down to the floor. Over the past few days, i have felt a lot better having eaten and hydrated but there is going to be a while yet until I reach my normal weight.

I could hear the birds chirping to each other above in the trees and the rustling leaves of wildlife along the ground. In the forest I finally felt at peace with myself.

No horrid memories bore themselves into my head and I was safe, they couldn't get me.... they can't get me.

The forest was a favorite place of my parents, always spending as much time in the forest as possible and it reminds me of them a lot. Even when I resented my mum, for leaving me the way she did.
After dad died suddenly 3 years before, she was never the same and maybe that's why she was so manic. Putting me into situations that no kid should ever be in, I shouldn't have had to see her dead like that.

But she chose that.

She decided I wasn't worth sticking around for.

And for a long time, I resented her for that. That's when everything really fell apart, when she left me alone with David.

Now I know, I know better because I've probably felt the exact same thing as her countless times in the past few years.

So now, I don't think the forest a bad reminder of their deaths. I didn't need anymore saddness in my life, I'd take any good that I could. It's more a reminder of the great life I had with them, even if the memories of that are  a little fuzzy... It was a long time ago after all.

"Jen!" I could hear the distant shout of Jackson, he seemed worried almost scared as I heard him rushing through the foliage. I just lay my head back against the bark of the tree knowing that he would smell me out anyway.

At least I had a small break, he'd been overbearing the past 3 weeks

"Jen, you can't be out here!" His voice sounded almost agitated as he marched up to me and pulled me up off the ground. I pulled my arm out of grasp and gave him a small glare.

"You couldn't leave me for five more minutes?" I gave a frustrated huff as I followed his fast paced moving figure, he really didn't want me out here very long.

"You know why I can't let you do that." He briefly looked back at me solemnly as I dropped my head away from his eye contact and continued to follow him at a fast pace.

"I haven't been out of that stupid room in such a long time. It's insufferable." I ground my teeth just thinking of being in that stupid hospital room, the air smelt muggy and sickening and I was sick of it. 

"The doctor has said you need to be on bed rest for another week." We reached the clearing as I rushed to keep up with him as he strode towards the clinic watching his surroundings afraid something might jump out any second. 

"Can't I sleep in my own bed?" 

We entered the building and he carefully held my hand allowing the tingles to comfort me as he pulled me along to the room.