Chapter 22

A gasp escaped me as I woke up, a searing pain blasting through my body.
"Jenny! You're awake" my eyes flickered to a stricken Jackson who moved forwards to hold my hand in his.
My eyes closed briefly as he leaned in and pressed his lips against mine in a comforting kiss. We pulled away but rested our foreheads together as we soaked in eachother touch.
"What happened?" My voice came out quiet and scratchy, not wanting to believe the event.
His face shifted into one of sympathy, giving me the answer that I so wished wouldn't be true.
"She's really gone Jackson" I couldn't help the catch in my throat, letting tears escape my eyes as I dug my head into his shoulder.
"I'm so sorry." He mumbled quietly to me as he rubbed my knuckles with his fingers.
"Why can't they leave me alone? Haven't they taken enough from me?" I let out a shuddered breath, trying desperately to hold myself together.

Neither of us said anything else, he just pulled me into a hug. Squeezing tightly every so often to remind me I'm not alone.

Suddenly someone knocked on the door before they opened it and walked in. Their shoes tapping on the tiled floor.

" How are you feeling Jenny?" Bringing my head from the crook of Jackson's neck I locked eyes with the pack doctor. I smiled briefly, sitting myself up fully in the bed.

"Physically not too bad, a lot weaker than before, and my leg is pretty sore. Otherwise, not the worst I've been."
He gave me a grim smile as I spoke and then walked beside my bed to examine the leg.

"The stitches seem good and there doesn't seem to be any sign of infection, but that may not be seen for a day or so. I'll put you on a course of antibiotics to prevent any onset of infection. Apart from that, the poison didn't seem to actually affect your body, only your wolf." I nodded along as he spoke, growing more irritated by the fact I would be less strong again, weak in fact.

I didn't want to be weak.

After he finished the examination he left me and Jackson alone.
"Would you mind getting my textbooks for school? They should be in my school bag." I smiled and thanked Jackson as he began to walk out to get my books. He knew that revising for the exams was giving me a form of normalcy. Also I just wanted to do well and get the hell away from here for a while, I need this, even if it makes me sound horrible.

"These distractions can't be helping you at all." Jackson passed me the books while I gratefully accepted them.
"They aren't helping no, but I'm maintaining my grades in practice exams so the work I did in the summer has paid off." Pulling open the text book I felt his gaze on me.

"What are you doing after the exams are done?" I concentrated more on the chemistry in front of me, absorbing the information as much as possible.

After a while of me not speaking he spoke again.
"Jen. What do you want to do with your life? You haven't even told me that." I tried to avoid the question because then he'd know my intentions. I didn't want to get into this right now or ever.
Suddenly my textbook was pulled from my grasp and placed at the end of the bed.

"Tell me." His voice was firm now, I couldn't help but fiddle with my fingers and avoid his gaze.

"I want to be a doctor." There was silence for a while but he grabbed my hand and gave it a squeeze.

"That's amazing, I have no doubt you'd be a great doctor." He kissed my temple gently but I refused to look up, thanking him I knelt over to grab the textbook from the foot of the bed.

"I'm sorry I'm acting like this. I just don't want to upset you, or be ungrateful for all that you've done for me. I'll never forget you and everyone here, I promise that." I locked eyes with Jackson giving him a smile as he looked worried.