Goodbye and Goodwill, Part 1/4

Start from the beginning

"Actually, she might have a point Princess," Varian says. "I mean, I enjoy the Goodwill Festival as much as anyone. But it is a Corona tradition. Others might not feel the same about it."

Rapunzel looks down at her feet, obviously beginning to feel discouraged.

"Hey hey, don't feel bad!" Eugene says. "And don't worry about the gopher thing. I've got my two best gopher hunters on the job! I'm sure they're out there snaggin' a gopher as we speak... Probably."

"You are referring to Lance and Hook Foot, correct?" Varian says, raising an eyebrow.

Eugene sighs. "Yeah... You know, we may actually wanna cancel the Gopher Grab?" He tells Rapunzel.

"It'll be tough finding a gopher out here," Vex says. "This is sneezeweasel country."

"I'm so sorry, what's a sneezeweasel?" Cassandra asks.

Varian has heard of sneezeweasels before. He does a lot of reading, and comes across all kinds of interesting things. He is about to explain to Cassandra exactly what they are, but to his surprise Shorty speaks up first:

"It's a mammalian omnivore indigenous to this region, who's primary diet is gophers, foxes, and voles," the bearded man says, belching up pieces of a flyer that he evidently ate.

"Wow, that's... surprisingly accurate," Varian says, scratching his head.

"Um... Shorty, how do you know so much about sneezeweasels?" Eugene asks.

"I used to be one," Shorty replies with a chuckle.

The old man really worries Varian sometimes.

"Look!" Rapunzel suddenly shouts with a gasp. "Someone's signing up for the Gopher Grab!"

They all turn to see a man step up to the signup sheet. He grabs the quill, and stares at the paper.

"And you thought the good cheer wouldn't catch on," Rapunzel says, nudging Cassandra.

"Actually, he's stealing your quill," Vex says.

Sure enough, the man takes off running with the quill. Cassandra growls angrily.

"Hey!" Cassandra shouts. She runs after the man, and tackles him to the ground. "You want that pen so bad, then sign up!" Owl flies over to where she has the man pinned, holding the signup sheet in his talons.

 "You want that pen so bad, then sign up!" Owl flies over to where she has the man pinned, holding the signup sheet in his talons

"Okay, okay! I'll sign up," The man cries in defeat. He writes his name on the sheet as a murmuring crowd of people begins to gather around the scene.

Varian stares in amazement. Cassandra never ceases to impress him. And scare him...

But Rapunzel doesn't look so impressed. "Uh, Cass... We're celebrating goodwill, remember?" She says as the man gets up from the ground, and runs away sobbing.