Chapter 11- Homecoming Day

Homecoming starts at 7 pm. I don't have any money to get my hair done or any money to get my makeup done, I'm thinking about not going. Nolan bought me a cute dress, it's silver & it's tight, which I don't like because it shows my rolls.

I'm going to my nana's house to see if I can leave Jade there while I go to homecoming. I also want to ask my nana for some money.

I knock on her door and some lady answers.

"How may I help you?" She says. I'm kinda shocked because, who is she and why is she answering my grandma's door?

"Where's my nana?" I ask.

"Are you justice?" She asks. The only thought in my mind is, how does she know my name? I don't answer her question I just stare at her.

"I'm your auntie ke'ashia, you don't remember me?" My mom doesn't mention her family much, she doesn't even talk to my nana because of her childhood trauma. I don't really know what happened but I just know that she moved us away from New York when I was born. My mom would always leave me in Milwaukee with a white family while she'd visit her mom. I never understood why.

"No, I don't remember you" I say to her.

"I held you when you were a baby" she says to me. Now how would I remember that she "held" me when I was a baby.

"Is my nana here?" I ask.

"No she's not here, but you can come inside and we can catch up" she says.

"I'm really busy, I just wanted to know if my nana could watch my sister while I went to homecoming later, but I see that she's not here" I say as I turn around and walk off the steps.

"I can watch her for you" she offers. I wanted to say "man I don't even know you! Jade doesn't know you either" but I'm desperate, my mom is way too careless & I need to know that Jade is safe.

"Yea, maybe we should catch up before that" I say as I walk pass her and enter the house. We sit down and we talk. She tells me that she moved to Florida after living in New York. She had a baby at the age of 12 just like my mama. She also told me that she's older than my mama and that she'd always try to protect my mama from certain situations but my mama was a wild child and didn't listen. She told me that she's only going to be in Brooklyn for a week and that her daughters coming tomorrow.

She gave me $300 to get my hair done & my nails done & she's going to do my makeup. I like her already! She's nice.

I go back to my mama's house to get Jade and bring her to my nana's house but when I walk inside I don't see her.

"Mama, where's Jade? She's not upstairs" I say to my mama. 

"I don't know, jay" she says super calmly.

"How don't you know? Where did she go?" I ask.

"To find you, I guess"

"You let my little sister leave to fucking house? She's only 7 what the fuck!" I yell!

"Yo! What I tell you bout cursing in my home?"

"You worried about me cursing but you not worried about where yo child is? You're sick" I say

"Justice get out of my face! I saw her getting on the bus with 4 other girls, not too long ago. Damn now leave me alone!" She says while tapping the ash off her blunt. This bitch is pathetic, she's no mom. Now I have to look for Jade on my own!

I run out of the house so fast & I call Demarion. He picks me up and we follow the bus line.

"Is this that bus right there?" I say as I hop out of his car. I walk up to the doors and get on. I see Jade in the back of the bus with some females.

"Aye Jade! Get over her right now, you out of yo fucking mind" I yell at her. She walks over to me and says "Justice don't be mad at me. Mama started acting crazy, telling me to get out her house, she said don't come back or she will kill me and you!" I don't believe Jade because why would my mom say that & that doesn't explain why Jade left with these fast ass girls!

"Huh? Why did you get on the bus instead of going to nana's house!" I yell.

"Them girls said that they daddy would help us if I went with them"

"No Jade! Do you know what would've happened to you if I didn't find you? Don't you ever do no stupid shit like that ever again! They were going to take you to their pimp and I would've never seen you again!" Tears began to form in my eyes. Because, it's my fault that Jade left, if I was at home or if I would've took her with me she would've been fine.

We both get back in the car with Demarion and tell him what happened. He explained to me that my mom trips like that a lot, especially when his dad isn't there.

"Let's go in" I tell Jade as I open my door.

"No justice! She said she gone kill us!" Jade begs me not to go in and I don't listen to her. I need to get to the bottom of this. Demarion walks in with me and Jade sits on the steps.

My mom is in her room & I grab my clothes. As I walk out the door, this crazy bitch started yelling at me & calling me a demon. Demarion told her to calm down but she didn't listen. She grabbed a knife and started running towards me. I ran out of her house and Demarion took the knife from her. He called his dad and we ended up leaving.