We Are Infinite

En başından başla

You watched as Bucky sat there for a second, his eyes trailing up the sides of the beautiful home.

"We got this place about two years after we married. Ashlyn figured it'd be a nice to place to start a family." He tells you.

You don't know what to say as you continue staring forward, your hand still holding his.

"She wanted it because she thought it was beautiful," his eyes linger on the home, "Now that I come to think of it, she wasn't wrong."

You rubbed your thumb across the back of his hand.

"Bucky --"

"It was the smell of the poppy seeds and the cherry blossoms -- that's what got me. There was something so nice about it. Something I didn't want to let go." He breathed as he let go of your hand to press the ignition button, turning off the car. He then rubbed your upper thigh, "Come on."

You followed him.

It did not take very long for both of you to unpack your luggage in the bedroom.

He allowed you to tour the home as he took a nice shower.

This house was bigger than any you had probably been in, but as much as it oozed money and power, there was a sense of home to it that warmed your heart.

Maybe it was the color of the walls or the smell of fresh apples.

Maybe.

It didn't take much longer for you to find the kitchen. It was glorious. You quickly knew you would make the most delicious recipes in it.

You opened each cupboard until you found the mugs you were looking for. You placed one under the Keurig machine, proceeding to the turn on the roast button.

Bucky appeared sad as he glanced down at his hands on the island table, taking a seat in one of the stools.

"If you need some time to yourself, I understand. You and I both know I only came here with you to fish you out of the water in case you drank too much."

A small smile tainted his lips. It quickly went away as he played with his hands.

Bucky sighed as he got up, looking at the surrounding room, "I just couldn't stay there anymore. It was eating me alive. It's like for the first time in years I can finally breathe again. But, damn it, what I had to lose in the process."

He buried his face in his hands.

"I can't imagine how it must feel for parents to lose a child when they've already lived with them. I never even met her, and I --" Bucky gulped hard, "I wish I met her. I can't imagine how Ashlyn is feeling."

The days pass solemnly.

You give Bucky the space he needs as you both share his bed.

At night, you feel inclined to hold him in your arms, especially when he has that far away stare in his eyes, arm draped over his chest.

You couldn't even imagine how everything was affecting him.

Saturday morning you're cooking some bacon and scrambled eggs.

You poured the contents on the plates, your mind venturing away.

As much as you didn't mind giving Bucky his needed space and emotional support during this troubling time, you couldn't help but feel slightly selfish either.

You wondered what idea Nat and Wanda had in mind that could result in the loophole in Mr. Barnes' will.

It wasn't because you wanted what Ashlyn did and that you necessarily wanted it out of her hands. It was because the piece of paper had silently killed Bucky for years.