Poetry

Your laughter dialed down as the innocent moment between two friends passed, seemingly slipping from your grasp, inside the crowded restaurant

You couldn't believe that in less than twenty-four hours, your best friend and your sister would be married. You also couldn't shake the feeling that neither of you had ever understood true happiness, not as you did at that moment.

You were going to miss it — laughing together.

There were other aspects of your relationship, more obvious ones, that you would definitely miss more, but for years, the two of you always just shoved that under the table. As you pondered that, the laughter ceased altogether, and instead, you're looking at each other, realizing the two of you had run out of time.

You're the first to realize your hand is still on his arm. Bucky studied your hand, and you followed his gaze. Recognizing what you're doing, you remove your hand from him as if the touch had burned you.

Bucky subconsciously frowned at the action, finding himself missing your touch.

You cleared your throat, "Sorry, I -"

"You wanna get out of here?"

He was digging through the closet, throwing boxes from here to there. He wasn't looking forward to seeing you. That much was evident as he swung a beige Pier 1 throw pillow across the bedroom, nearly knocking the lamp from the nightstand.

The bottom of it shook, and the shade swung back and forth, making the yellow glow bounce from side to side off the walls of the room.

He looked at the crooked cushion in annoyance. With a huff, he got up from the floor and made his way to the side of the bed to fix it. As thankful as he was that he didn't strike the lamp from the table, on the one hand, he was also mad it did not fall.

You deserved a broken lamp; if anything, you deserved no light at all. Darkness would be the best thing for you; complete and utter obscurity.

But no, instead, you got a bedroom that was probably the size of your old living room (he remembers your old place very vividly), a full view of the city, fifty-five stories high into the sky, and some of the finest Egyptian cotton sheets.

You were being treated like a queen by them, much to his dismay.

He stared down at the bed, considering if he should 'accidentally' step on the white duvet with his exceedingly filthy boots.

He had to squeeze his right hand into a fist to stop himself.

The sheets were too damn expensive, Buck.

Ashlyn thought it'd be a good idea for Bucky to get the guest bedroom prepared while she picked you up at the 7 train entrance.

Since they had only recently moved in, the guest bedroom hadn't seen guests yet, meaning he had to spruce it up. There were pieces of furniture that still had to be appropriately placed about the room, the curtains still had to be installed, and then he had to make the bed.