Lost In The Moment

"Oh shit. Sorry."

The apology catches you off guard. You were moping in the corner of the dark kitchen, and had you thought you had been alone. You not only thought this because of the absolute silence and eeriness of the entire downstairs area, but because it was two in the morning.

You jump up and turn around and you see Bucky standing there in the doorway.

His hair is disarray, and he's got a tight white t-shirt on. His sweats lie low on his hips. One of the two draw strings was tucked messily inside while the other was hanging freely. His cheeks gave off a soft pink hue, the clear evidence of what he had been doing with your sister, all over his body.

His first instinct is to recoil in embarrassment, after all, he and Ashlyn had thought everyone was asleep, and they weren't necessarily quiet.

Did you hear them? Is that why you were awake?

The embarrassment quickly dissipates when he notices your blood shut eyes and your messy hair.

His arm drops off from the the spot on the wall where he had been looking for the light switch.

You quickly snap your face away from him and rub underneath your eyes and over the tops of your cheeks.

"Everything okay?" he asks.

You nod curtly as you turn your entire body away from him, tucking your hair behind your ear.

God forbid if your sister's own boyfriend saw you crying.

Life just had to kick you in the ass multiple times, didn't it?

"You don't look okay." he comments.

It's not like you could tell him exactly what was going on with you or why you were upset. To start, you barely knew him, and second, no one is even supposed to know that you cry- it made you feel pathetic and absolutely small.

You were crying because it was two in the morning, and anything that ever tormented your life to make you the emo soul that you are, hit you worse after midnight. It's rare for you to even lay in bed at such an hour and not shed a tear or two. Truth is, your life was always a struggle and you felt like you never got a break.

No relationship you've ever been in was a success. There was always something that got in the way — either he was a cheater, he didn't love you back, he was too old for you, or there was someone he loved more.

That was exactly what happened to you and Eddie. Sure it was three years ago, but it left you completely shattered.

Up until you had met Eddie, your love life had already been a disgrace and you had lost almost all faith to even continue searching for Mr. Right. When you met Eddie, you thought all that had changed. You had thought he was different, that he loved you and always would. You had let down those walls for him and finally allowed another man into your life once more. You worked hard in school and on your relationship with him — letting everyone else out- for your sake in making it work with him and setting up a potential foundation for a future life together. Of course, that was all too good to be true. One day he told you that what he felt for you wasn't love.

Hot and heavy tears ran down your face as you stood in the middle of his living room, a Walgreens gift bag in your hand. It was valentines day and you had gotten him a rare copy of one of his favorite childhood books. He didn't know that yet, as it laid in the plastic bag wrapped up in blue tissue paper.

You had sat crisscrossed in bed the night before wrapping it perfectly tight as you smiled to yourself, you were so happy at that moment in time.