Soldier, Oh soldier

Start from the beginning

Harvard.

They were young, and he had just recently left the army.

It was evident to her that he was looking for comfort in another soul. After what he had been through, the recovering process was complicated and heartbreaking. He always described his arrival to her as a hollow shell - his life was newly deserted and he was greeted to reality with a blinding scream of agony.

She was gorgeous and he was a broken boy and would have anyone fooled with the look of a gleaming James Dean. Their relationship was inevitable, and it was amazing and young.

Reflecting on everything, it doesn't surprise her that she's overprotective of him. She doesn't quite understand that feeling of murkiness that she gets when she sees him linger in your apartment, or when she finds out that he is the reason for your exceptional happiness. It's all a daze and a distant foreshadow.

It's obvious to her that after meeting you, she could sense that you and Bucky had quite a lot in common. Just like she and he did when she first met him. And similarly to like she and Bucky did, he confided in you for opinions. After Bucky had unraveled that information about your baggage at The Plaza Hotel, she knew the kind of girl that you were.

You were vulnerable; innocent.

It wasn't that she thought you had any intentions with a taken man, or that anything specifically would happen between you and Bucky - per se- but more so that you wore your heart on your sleeve.

She was worried that eventually this would come off the wrong way and it could turn into something no one wanted to deal with. She wanted to protect you as well and she had tried to make that as clear as possible the other day.

Even though she knew Bucky would never be the kind to overstep that line, she remained worrisome about the feeling she was feeling.

She rubs the back of her neck as she adjusts the gun on her left holster that hid under her short black, but a casual, dress. She was supposed to be at a rendezvous for Mr. Barnes in a half hour. It would be used only under certain repercussions, he had reminded her with a suggested look. 

Nat liked Ashlyn a lot. She was gorgeous, sweet, and kind. She was undoubtedly happy for Bucky when he introduced her to her. She had greeted Nat with a slightly weak handshake and a big bright smile that seemed to have promised trust and security. And when Ashlyn would look at Bucky, she very well looked in love.

Sure, Nat thought it was too soon for Bucky to offer her a job, but that's what Barnes' did. It's the same exact moves that Mr. Barnes used on Bucky's mom when they first started. They were wealthy, it wasn't out of the ordinary.

It wouldn't surprise Nat if this was Bucky's The One. Ashlyn was safe; she was normal with no ties to any complications.

She was a breath of fresh air.

When it came to the Barnes men, things were always straight forward. Bucky was a little different because he wasn't materialistic, but he was filthy rich and things did come easier to him than for many ordinary males. Unfortunately, sometimes he would forget that. He could be tactless; he could be inadvertently oblivious.

And that's what worried Nat. He was a natural flirt- a sweetheart, so to say. He was kind. She lost count how many times she and Bucky would be walking hand and hand together to their next class and he would stop to help a girl who dropped her books in the hallway. It would be so awkward for him the next day when they would come up to him and ask him out and he would say no, that he already had a girlfriend. He was dating Nat and yet he would still do these very kind gestures for the ladies.