Chapter 30

Clayton sat next to me, staring at the ground. I sighed sadly, not sure what to do now. CJ had passed out again on the couch with what seemed like no intention of waking up. John was working on his second bottle of whatever he was drinking.

             I was surprised that Clayton refused to drink any, but made no comment of it.

                “Hey John” Clayton said “We gotta get a place to crash”

                “Go find a room or something” John shrugged “CJ has like, a lot”

                Clayton rolled his eyes “Put the bottle down and let’s go find somewhere to sleep”

                John mimicked Clayton poorly but set the bottle down nonetheless. Clayton stood up, reaching a hand out to me. I grabbed it, hoisting myself up.

                I followed the boys as they walked out of the kitchen and made their way down the hallway. I glanced at CJ as we walked past, noticing how oblivious he was to everything. I bit my lip, wondering if he really was such a reliable person.

                John opened the door to the first room down the hall, bowing us in mockingly. Clayton gave him a shove before walking it. I avoided contact with John.

                The room had a large bed and a couch tucked in the back. Aside from those three things, it was fairly bare. The walls needed a painting badly and the floor had cracks all throughout it. I hadn’t seen a place this bad in what felt like forever.

                Clayton sat down on the bed, resting his hands between his legs. He slouched forward with a sigh, not looking at anyone. John stumbled his way over to the couch, falling face first onto it.

                “Woo” John said sarcastically “This is the life”

                “John, shut up” Clayton mumbled

                John ignored him, “Always wanted to be on the run from my own government so that I could help protect a girl. Can’t believe I’m finally living the good life”

                “John. Stop.” Clayton growled “I know you’re mad. I am too”

                I bit my lip, trying to hide in the shadows of the room. I wished I could disappear and let John and Clayton live their lives as they were before I came along.

                Clayton looked up, noticing me. Regret flashed through his eyes, but he did nothing, looking back at the ground.

                I sighed, leaning against the wall opposite the couch. I slid down, leaning my head back. Where had we gone wrong? We were promised a free pass to safety.

                John burped loudly, breaking the silence that had filled the room. I made a face of disgust, not being one for burps.