The Return of Quaid, Part 2/5

Start from the beginning

     "Captain Quaid," Eugene says, recognizing the statue. "He was the sheriff of Vardaros back in the day."

     "You mean, back when you were Flynn Rider?" Varian asks.

     Eugene nods as Lance adds, "He was the first guy to ever arrest us! And the second... and the third." He sniffles as his eyes grow misty. "In a way, he was family."

     "Hmm, what else can you tell me about him?" Rapunzel asks.

     "Captain Quaid the Blade, we called him!" Lance continues dramatically. "He was known for his cunning, strength, and bravery. But above all else, he was proud of his city. His pride was infectious; people loved Quaid, and they loved Vardaros."

     "What happened to him?" Rapunzel asks.

     "He quit," Vex replies. "Or at least, that's what I was told. It was before my time, but the few people who are still here from the glory days say he met his match. No one hears much from him anymore."

     "Do you know where we could find him?" Rapunzel asks her.

     "I do," Vex replies with a sly smile. "But it's gonna cost ya."

     Rapunzel shares a glance with Pascal, and rolls her eyes. She begins to hand Vex some money, but Eugene steps forward.

     "Whoa whoa whoa, lemme get ahead of this one here..." He says to Rapunzel. "You wanna find a way-past-his-prime lawman, somehow convince him to come out of retirement, and inspire these poor people to fight back against Weasel and/or any other lowlife who tries to claw their way into power in this flea-bitten city? And you wanna do this all in four days?"

     Geez, take a breath, Varian thinks, slightly amused.

     "Do you think it'll work?" Rapunzel asks with a hopeful smile

     "If we say 'not in a million years,' would it change your mind?" Cassandra asks. But Varian is sure they all already know the answer to that one.

     "Probably not," Rapunzel replies, striding away with confidence.

     "Well then, I guess that settles it," Varian says with a chuckle. "Let's go find us a sheriff!"

     Reluctantly, the others follow Rapunzel to the caravan. As Vex points the way and Cassandra directs the horses, Varian takes inventory of his supplies inside while Rapunzel sketches in her journal.

     "I know this is crazy, but if Quaid is even half the inspiration Lance and Eugene say he is, Vardaros could be on its way back to greatness!" He hears Rapunzel say as she finishes a drawing of Quaid based on the statue.

     "It might be a bit of a long stretch," Varian says, popping into the girls' side of the caravan. "But if you believe in this plan so strongly, then I'm behind you."