Chapter 5: The Ten Feet Distance

"Hey loser, wake up." My best friend, Jazlyn called as she barged into my room with a red, two feet high sandal on her left hand, her right hand turning the light beside the door on. My eyes opened, adjusting to the sudden light accompanying the dark room as I squinted my eyes at her from the door.

"It's too early." I complained, rubbing my eyes and sitting up straight.

My eyes then furrowed with confusion as I looked around my room, feeling as if something felt off. Looking down on my lap, my eyes landed on my white blanket wrapped around my legs before I focused my gaze back at Jazlyn to see her attention on the object occupying her hand.

I stared at Jazlyn to see her shaking her head furiously, her dark brown hair following the movement of her head while she rolled her brown eyes and looked directly at me.

She scoffed and made her way towards me before shutting the door close.

"It's literally 5:30 in the afternoon." Jazlyn said as she threw the sandal towards me. My hands immediately caught it as I looked at it with confusion written in my face.

"Whose shoe is this?" I asked her as she sat down on the left side of my bed, her feet dangling in the air due to the height of the bed.

"Caroline's." She shrugged nonchalantly.

My eyes immediately widened from the realization as I threw the shoe towards the other side of the room. Jazlyn just clutched her stomach and started laughing hysterically at my reaction. I glared at her in return before walking my way towards the bathroom to wash my hands.

The sound of her laugh started to die down as she wiped an imaginary tear on her right eye. "Relax, I cleaned it." She said.

My lips turned into a small smile as I walked out of the bathroom to look for my phone. "How did you get it out anyways?" I asked.

"Used the plunger." She states while standing up from my bed and roaming around my bedroom. I just nodded and stifled a laugh in return.

She turned to me with a mocking look on her face. "Turns out, it was useful."

I rolled my eyes at her with a smile on my face, knowing not to challenge her because at the end of the day, she always wins.

"It's hot in here." Jazlyn said before opening the set of french doors on the right side of my room. As soon as she opened it, she then stepped foot into the balcony, her gaze lingering on the other set of french doors positioned directly across from mine.

"Reminds me of the other room." She whispered in such a hushed tone that you wouldn't be able to hear it if you weren't paying attention.

I know for a fact that she was referring to my old room, the room that used to face Dylan's room, exactly ten feet away from mine before he moved away to New York, a year ago.

I chose to ignore her statement, acting as if I didn't hear it. I knew that she was feeling pity for me because of what happened between him and I in the past, eight years of friendship ruined in just one night.

Her eyes then switched from the closed doors to the tree planted in the middle, she cracked a smile and stared at it.

"What tree is this?" She asked, referring to the small, growing tree between mine and the room in front of me.

"It's a sycamore." I replied as I started running my hands to my hair from frustration and confusion as to where I last left my phone.

"Mrs. Potter planted it 3 months ago before she moved away." I added.

"What are you looking for?" She nodded before looking away.

"My phone." I replied, searching under the bed.