37 | showtime

THEO HAMPTON

"Are you ready?" I asked the two Weres in front of me, both Jack and Lia getting into position. We used silver chains to hold their wrists before their back. Even though it was a very painful metal to Weres, both Jack and Lia agreed to it beforehand.

We needed to make this all look realistic.

While the chains are painful, they are only truly painful if you attempt to pull from the metal-- even a slight inch pushed against it and a rush of hot pain spread from the arms from the wrist. As long as they didn't move as much and kept their wrists still, the pain would only be a dull heat. 

"I'm still not happy about this," Jack grumbled, narrowing his eyes at his mate who just huffed in the air and lifted her chin in the air. 

"Get over it, I'm here to stay." I couldn't help roll my eyes at the conversation between the two. 

We didn't have time for a little chitchat.

Myself and the selected fights I chose to come with me were currently a few feet away from the border-- the second we walk past it, the guard will automatically detect our scent. 

However, we also had a plan for that. It was clear that Hayden has been using witches to hide their scents when they came into the Black Dawn territory, so I happily took a page out of his book. 

I had a witch of my mine, who would stay hidden in the back while hiding our scents. Considering there was many of us waiting by the border, a witch's power can only hold so much strength so only the select few of us will be going past the border with the witch covering our scents-- Grey, Jack, Lia, two warriors and myself. 

Our plan is to have two safe transactions; Jack for Adrian and Lia for Ella. I knew this man, he would do anything to get his family back-- that was why he took Ella in the first place after all. 

The remaining warriors will stand back and wait for the signal. If anything even slightly threatening occurs, my warriors will charge through the border and act defensively.

Holly made it clear to me as well as everyone else that she wished for no one that wasn't apart of her father's scheme to be badly injured. 

I made a promise to my mate and I had no plans to break it. 

I cleared my throat, interrupting the two in front of me from arguing any longer. All they have been doing is arguing, Jack really didn't like the fact that Lia was apart of this. I didn't like it at first either, but Lia insisted it gave us more leverage and that it seemed more realistic having both instead of one without their mate.

I would be lying if I said Jack was my favourite person, but this was one thing I agreed on with him. If I was in his position and Holly was insisting on coming with me on a dangerous mission that could potentially risk her life, I would be acting the exact same. 

I was just glad that Holly and I could agree with one another that her coming on this trip would have been a bad idea.

Lia, on the other hand, was very demanding. 

"I didn't ask you to share your feelings," I grunted at Jack, my eyes slowly turning into slits as they narrowed in his direction. "I asked you both if you are ready." I deadpanned, my eyes shifting between both the Weres in front of me. 

Jack shifted in his silver chains, pain flashing in his eyes for a second as he unconsciously pulled against the metal.  

"Oh how about you jus--" Lia was quick to cut him off before he said something he may have regretted. 

This time, Holly isn't here to protect you, you little mutt. I growled inwardly, glaring intensely at the disrespectful dog. 

"We are ready," Lia confirmed, sending Jack a look with a frown on her face before looking back at me, nodding her. 

It was showtime. 

As planned, the witch-- Elena-- successfully covered our scents before we stepped onto the Golden Redemption territory. Once we were officially on the territory, Jack led the easiest way to get to the main packhouse without getting noticed by a bypassing pack member.

Jack claimed that he knew the best path to sneak through the territory-- apparently it was something he used to do a lot when he was younger. 

We continued to follow Jack, weaving through the trees of the wood before we could finally see the main packhouse in our sights. 

He sniffed in the air aggressively, in the direction of the packhouse, before turning back to the group and giving me a stiff nod. "He's in there," 

Hayden was in the packhouse, I felt the wolf within my roaring at the thought of Hayden dead beneath my feet-- but I made a promise to Holly, I wouldn't do anything extreme unless it was completely necessary. I reminded my wolf of that fact, causing him to growl lowly in my mind. 

I stepped out from the group, moving closer to where Jack once was and gave the air a sniff. Closing my eyes, my sniffs intensified and my nostrils flared as I continued to search for the scent. 

When I caught it, my eyes shot up. I could smell it-- I could smell them. 

Both Adrian and Ella were in that house-- and by my guess, they were under the house, in the basement. For a moment, my heart swelled. I was so close to them, I was so close to getting them back. 

But I quickly cleared my mind, I couldn't think like that. I had a mission right now, and I couldn't let my feelings suddenly get the best of me. 

"Let's go," 

As we stepped out of the woods, I heard Holly's voice in my head.

"Why didn't you tell me you asked Kara to spend time with me?" She asked via mind-link. My face scrunched up slightly in confusion. Kara, as in Kai's twin sister? What was Kai's sister doing with Holly? I never asked her anything, I rarely speak to the woman.

I responded as quickly as I could to Holly, while still focused on the mission at hand. "I didn't?" 

I was now in character, Both Grey and I gripping Jack and Lia harshly. Jack's eyes shot up at Grey's hands roughing pulling on Lia's shoulder as he 'dragged' her with him. He let out a growl and I turned sharply behind. 

"Shush it, now's not the time to get protective." I snarled at him-- we were so close to Adrian and Ella, I wasn't going to let Jack's loose mouth ruin the plan. He glared at me for a moment, before grunting and turning his sights to the front of him. 

Good boy. 

While I dragged Jack through the crowds, I hollered up to the packhouse. "Alpha Hayden!" I shouted. "I think I've got something you might want down here!" I sinisterly chuckled. In an instant, pack members ran out of the door, their eyes directed narrowed at me. 

His warriors were fast, but mine were faster. 

After his warriors sped out, I saw a large figure in the doorway, slowly stepping out of the house. 

"Jack?" Lia?" Alpha Hayden's brows furrowed as his eyes falling upon his eldest son and his mate. His eyes then travelled to mine, and I could almost see the fire erupt within them. 

"You," He snarled, stepping off the porch of his house. 

"Me," I confirmed, I felt a cheeky smile spread through my face-- I knew this was a very serious moment, but I couldn't help but play with his emotions. Making this man angry truly makes my day. 

Before I could say anything else, I heard Holly's voice again in mind. But something was wrong. 

"Th..." She trailed off. 

I paused what I was going for a moment, my attention completely on Holly. 

"Holly?" I called out through the mind-link. No answer.

Something was wrong.