xxvii.

- - -
in 6500 bc, some guy looked at his sick friend and said 'i have an idea. why don't i drill a hole in your skull? it'll make you feel better'. and thus surgery was born.
- - -

"is mark speaking to you yet?" arizona asks chloe, who shakes her head, as the two of them stand at the nurses station, surrounded by interns and residents having their own private discussions. "so he still doesn't know about theo or- or owen and teddy?" arizona's eyes are wide and again, chloe shakes her head.

"oh, chloe," arizona sighs, offering a sympathetic smile as she reaches out to gently squeeze chloe's arm.

"it's fine. i'm fine. it's my fault," chloe shrugs her shoulders, attempting to muster a smile, but arizona isn't convinced that she's fine at all.

"you're not fine," arizona shakes her head and chloe exhales deeply. "okay, tonight after you've signed the divorce papers, i am coming over to your place and we are getting drunk. okay?"

"okay," chloe nods.

"apparently some people thought i was kidding last week when i announced that nobody was going to get to hang out on their favourite specialty anymore. i wasn't," richard's voice booms from behind the nurses station, causing the doctors huddled before him to look up. "junior residents don't specialise. so all the requests to send you back to that place where your true heart lives can end now. dr. bailey makes the assignments. do not, and i repeat, do not harangue her."

after richard has finished sternly warning the interns and residents, his brow deeply furrowed and his index finger wagging in front of them, he walks away from the nurses station. 

"grey, you're on cardio with hahn today," bailey begins to make the residents' assignments.

"oh, but-" cristina attempts to protest but bailey cuts her off.

"stevens, karev, pit with altman," bailey continues.

"oh, come on," alex groans resulting in chloe raising her brow at him from across the nurses station, to which he responds with an overly enthusiastic grin.

"that's not- the chief wants us to have a change. that's not a change," izzie argues. "i'm always stuck in the pit with alex."

"when the chief said don't harangue dr. bailey, what do you think he meant?" bailey challenges and neither residents choose to argue further, but their discontent is clear as bailey continues. "yang, clinic."

"what? what? no. no," cristina frantically shakes her head.

"no, no, wait, wait," izzie also protests. "the clinic is mine and dr. altman's. we say how it's staffed. she'll just ruin it."

"yeah, yeah," cristina nods in agreement, desperately trying to avoid the clinic. "yeah, i will. i'll- i'll ruin it."

"dr. altman, just let me do it," izzie turns to look at the blonde for back up.

"no, you will not. you will do what dr. bailey says," chloe shrugs and bailey smiles smugly at the residents. "and since yang couldn't be bothered to show up at the clinic since it opened, think of it as a new frontier in her training."

- - -
it takes a certain brand of crazy to come up with an idea like drilling into somebody's skull, but surgeons have always been a confident bunch. we usually know what we're doing and when we don't, we still act like we do.
- - -