iii.

- - -
at some point during surgical residency, most interns get a sense of who they are as doctors and the kinds of surgeons they are going to become.
- - -

chloe is running late for work, meaning that she's walking quickly through the hospital car park with a coffee in one hand, and her bag in the other. as she nears the hospital, she notices izzie stevens stood outside, staring up at the large building.

"hey, iz," chloe greets with slight surprise due to her not expecting to see the blonde back at seattle grace.

"hey. i'm going on to see the chief," izzie informs her.

"excellent. back in the game, stepping up to the plate," chloe nods, walking backwards so that she can talk to izzie whilst continuing her journey towards the hospital to prevent her being any later than she is already. "look, i'm- i'm running late. um, i'll catch you inside?"

"yeah, later," izzie smiles as chloe spins back around and quickens her step, whilst the intern remains stationary.

- - -
if you ask them, they'll tell you they are going to be general surgeons, orthopedic surgeons, neurosurgeons.
- - -

the other interns are all lazily, leaning over the nurses station, messing about on their phones, completely unfocused. chloe walks over to the other end of the nurses station and begins collecting her charts.

"izzie's back. that's good," chloe calls over to them.

"it is," george agrees, but the other three barely lift their heads up to look at her.

"morning people," bailey greets as she approaches her interns and they all immediately straighten their posture and give her their complete undivided attention. "grey, we're clearing the decks. i need you writing discharge forms. yang, you're with dr. shepherd. karev, as usual, you're with dr. montgomery-shepherd in o.b-g.y.n. o'malley, dr. torres has requested you today in ortho."

"wait, do i not have an intern today?" chloe chimes in after listening to bailey make the assignments.

"you can have grey if and when she's finished writing all her discharge forms," bailey smiles before walking away from the nurses station.

"was she smiling?" cristina furrows her brow.

"izzie's back," alex shrugs as derek walks over to them, stopping beside meredith.

"dr. grey, i am clipping a basilar tip aneurysm. any interest?" derek raises a brow, offering her a playful smile.

"i'm on your service, today, dr. shepherd," cristina highlights and derek nods, his smile fading when he looks up to find addison approaching.

addison exhales deeply, pushing her way through derek and meredith, and stopping just behind chloe.

"dr. altman, can i get..." addison trails off when past chloe she notices mark sloan alongside the chief, wearing his very own seattle grace lab coat, shaking hands with a man in a suit. "oh, my god."

chloe, derek and the interns all then avert their gazes to mirror addison's, each of them displaying very different expressions as a reaction to the plastic surgeon's, seemingly permanent, return.