Lonely Hearts Club Chapter 2

Trigonometry should not exist. I repeated to myself over and over again before checking the clock. Only 15 more minutes until study hall, fucking finally. 80 minutes of trig was starting to take a toll on my mental heath. And that’s when I thought of Saturday again.

            Logan.

            Ugh! I tried to tell myself to stop obsessing over the whole thing all week, and today I was giving up. It was Thursday and I hadn’t talked to Logan since he left my house, but I had seen him. And I tried not to make eye contact with him, or notice when he talked to Rose before class, or joked with Collin at lunch.

            But I had failed. The bell rang overhead and sprinted to my locker.

            “Hey, Rose,” I said, “Where are you going for study hall?”

            “My math teacher, thank God only one more period’s left! I got no sleep last night,” she said opening her locker, and checking her hair in the mirror. I love Rose, but the outfit she had on today made me want to gag. Her see through white shirt clung to her, and her black bra. I remember when everyone started to do dumb shit like that. Freshman year had been a confusing time, everyone started to show a lot of skin and paint their face. I guess I just never grew into it, it didn’t suite me.

            “I’m in the library,” I grabbed my personal notebook and a book before slamming my royal blue locker, “See you later,” I said shortly, walking away.

            The library was my favorite place to go for study hall; it was quiet, but not silent. And all of the nooks provided by the shelves of books, computer stations, and group of tables made it comfortable. I took my usual seat by the window in the corner, and looked out onto the parking lot.

            Our school was normal sized, there were about a thousand kids, we were in the middle of white class suburbia, the suburbs of Concord, Connecticut. From here I could see the football field, the hill with the baseball diamond, and another field for everything else. I liked my school, not really the people, but the school. Our surplus of funds led to big homecoming events, and a ton of extracurricular activities and clubs.

            I settled into my seat and picked up my book, unaware of someone behind me.

            A strong pair of hands squeezed by shoulders, and I gasped. Logan sat down beside me laughing, “Very alert today I see Ivy.”

            “Fuck you,” I said pushing his shoulder, smiling a little.

            “What’s this?” He asked pointing to the papers peaking out of my notebook. “Some more lists?”

            SHIT! “Nothing,” I scrabbled to put them away but they were already in his hands. I wanted to curl up and die right there.

            Despite my wide-eyed fear, Logan looked up from the lists and smiled at me, “How touching they’re about me.”

            I put my head in my hands before he continued, “Let’s see,” he said ignoring my embarrassment, “shall we start with, Things I Know About Logan Richfield, Things I Like About Logan Richfield, or, my personal favorite Things I Don’t Like About Logan Richfield?”

            I groaned, I could just see him telling Collin and Dylan as soon as study hall was over. Well at least he hadn’t found my lists about them.

            “What was that? Things I Don’t Like About Logan? Ok as you wish,” He grinned.

            “I hope you’re enjoying yourself,” I said barley managing to look at him.