Beyond the Corona Walls, Part 4/6

Start from the beginning

"Since I gave Raps a pep talk and she came to her senses," Cassandra replies. "Now come on!"

"Must have been some pep talk," Varian says, pulling himself up and following after Cassandra.

The gang find the spot where a few people are lining up for the wedding, and hide from sight. They pull out their spy glasses to get a better view of what is happening, but Rapunzel almost doesn't notice the black rocks sticking out of the ground next to her.

"Careful Raps," Cassandra warns. "Remember what happens when you touch one of those."

Varian knows firsthand what happens when Rapunzel touches those rocks. They glow a strange blue, and she is able to control them. To use them as an unbreakable, unbeatable weapon. "Yeah, I'm still feeling the blowback from those things," he says with a nervous chuckle.

"Right, that would be bad," Rapunzel replies, stepping away from the rocks.

Cassandra groans as she watches the short line in front of them. "I was hoping there would be more people here to make it easier to slip by," she says.

Rapunzel scoffs. "I guess Stalyan doesn't have that many friends. What kind of a name is 'Stalyan,' anyway? Who names their kid that? What's her sister's name, Bronco?"

Cassandra rolls her eyes. "Rapunzel, focus. We don't have time for jealousy."

"Jealous? No, I am not jealous. You're jealous," Rapunzel says defensively.

     Love really brings out a different side of people, Varian thinks, slightly amused by Rapunzel's antics.

Cassandra just ignores her remark. "Now, the benefit of only having a few guests is that we might have a chance fighting our way in. A slim chance, but a chance."

"Or we could use alchemy," Varian suggests with a smirk. "I could create a thick fog, and we could sneak through it unseen."

"If the fog is so thick, how would we see in it?" Cassandra asks. "Sorry, but no. No alchemy this time."

As Rapunzel continues to look through her spyglass, her face lights up. "We may not have to fight, or use alchemy. I think I have an idea."

"Does this idea require the use of any hooks?" Hook Foot asks, folding his arms.

"No," Rapunzel replies, "but we will need the help of Vardaros' little sweetheart."

Varian looks through his own spyglass, and notices the young girl they've come across a couple times before, pushing a cart with a bouquet of flowers on it. She spots them spying on her, and slaps her hand to her forehead with annoyance.

     "Seriously, you're gonna recruit her?" Varian groans. "She's the reason we're having to do this in the first place!"

"What's the plan?" Cassandra asks.

"We are gonna crash a wedding," Rapunzel replies giddily.

After recruiting a reluctant young girl, whom they discover is named Vex, Rapunzel puts her plan into action. Cassandra, Varian, and Hook Foot hide under Vex's cart, concealed by a tablecloth. Rapunzel puts on a heavy coat and intimidating hat covered with skulls, all provided by Vex. Pascal perches on her shoulder, hidden by the coat's raised collar.

Vex pushes the cart and gets in line, with Rapunzel following behind her. "Remember what we talked about," Rapunzel tells her. "Act normal, and you'll get the other half when we're done."

"I'm good, for being stuck at a wedding," Vex says.

"Yeah. Come to think of it, I've never actually been to a wedding before," Rapunzel realizes. "If we didn't have to be in disguise, and it wasn't so dangerous, and my boyfriend wasn't marrying another woman, this might have been fun."

The line begins to move, and Varian feels the cart being pushed forward. He peeks through a small hole in the tablecloth, as a guard stops Rapunzel and Vex, inquiring about the cart.

"The Baron wanted wedding flowers," Vex responds to the guard with an irritated scoff.

The guard inspects the flowers, and discovers a spiked club inside the vase. He pulls it out, and for a moment Varian is certain that their plan isn't going to work. We should've went with my fog idea, he thinks. But to his surprise, the guard smiles.

"A battle bouquet," the guard says. "Brilliant!" He enthusiastically whacks the cart with the club, causing Varian to jump. He involuntarily lets out a startled squeal, and Cassandra quickly covers his mouth.

 He involuntarily lets out a startled squeal, and Cassandra quickly covers his mouth

"What was that?!" The guard says.

Rapunzel fakes a coughing fit, attempting to conceal Varian's sound.

"What about you?" The guard asks, turning his attention to Rapunzel. "Who are you?"

"I'm Cobra," Rapunzel replies, attempting to make her voice sound deeper. "Cobra Mc, uh... McBloodpuncher!"

"You're not on the list," the guard says.

"Cobra McBloodpuncher doesn't do lists!" Rapunzel says.

Varian shakes his head. This is never gonna work...

"Then what do you do?" The guard asks, getting right in her face.

Suddenly, a fly buzzes from the bouquet and lands on the guard's nose. Pascal can't resist, and flicks his tongue out to eat it right off of the guard's nose. Unable to actually see the chameleon, the guard jerks back in shock.

"You should see what I do to people," Rapunzel says, just rolling with it.

The guard appears offended at first, but then he bursts out with laughter. "You're alright, McBloodpuncher!" He says, slapping her on the back as he lets her and Vex past.