They had forced Tucker to his knees, and he knelt down in front of my father, like a perverse image of a bow. The two of them were the closest to the water. From the tense set of his shoulders, I knew Tucker could sense me growing closer.

Dark energy threatened to spill out of me as I looked at all of them, spread around the waterfront and being held by people who hated their very existence with my father leading them.

"Glad you could join us, Eloise."

His voice made me want to scream. The unrestrained and utter terror I saw in Tucker's eyes in fear for his brothers and in fear for me, distracted me. The hunters pulled me to my father's side, so I was standing above the eldest Joy boy. His eyes searched mine, and I realized that there was no time left. I'd hoped that his absence would give me more time to figure out a plan- figure out a way to stop my father.

But I had nothing. And so when I looked at my father, no witty comment or brave remark came to mind.

"Fuck you."

My comment seemed to amuse him as he hardly glanced at me. Johnathan was alight with a different type of energy than I'd ever seen in him. Everything he'd been planning for years was about to come to fruition. The hunters pushed me down beside Tucker on to my knees, his warmth went past my sweatshirt and heated my arm.

Johnathan turned to the two other hunters, and Tucker took the chance to lean over to me.

"What's the plan?" he whispered.

I sighed. "The plan was for you to go to the psychiatric hospital to find me like Rose told you to."

He raised an eyebrow at my tone.

"Rose is a terrible liar," he said dismissively. "You should know better than that. If you're in danger, then I'm not going anywhere."

If I could've thrown up my hands, I would've. I watched my father and the hunters carry large metal crates to sit in front of each of the creatures. They placed them on the rocks in the river, water crashing around the sides of each of the crates, slapping the titanium in a loud rhythm. I wasn't sure I wanted to know what was inside. Hunters on both sides of the river began to line the bank with candles.

"And look where that got us," I mumbled.

"So, that brings me back to... what do we do?"

"What? No wolfing out?"

Tucker shook his head, his teeth gritting. He couldn't point, but with a nod of his head he motioned toward a familiar figure speaking with my father and pointing to the book in their hands- the Codex.

"Is that..." my voice trailed off, a dark pit forming in my stomach as I took in the gray hair, the wrinkled face, and the cloudy eyes. Feeling my eyes on her, the old woman turned and her face twisted up into a cruel smile.

"The reason you couldn't help my mother wasn't because your father was too powerful, Lou. It's because he had help," Tucker's voice was sympathetic as he watched my eyes narrow at the old woman, "I can't shift. She's suppressing me."

The old woman moved away from my father, watching me carefully with the same excited glint that my father had in his eyes. My fists tightened behind my back. Questions raced through my head. Did Tilly know? No, I thought, Tilly would've stopped her.

But still I watched her grandmother walk toward me, her clouded eyes narrowed and I swallowed past the thickness in my throat. Sophia Angelos hated werewolves, that came as no surprise, but it was shocking now to see how deep her hate ran. She spared Tucker no glance but stood in front of me, looking down at me the same way my father had.