A Taste of Romance

Começar do início

"Thank you." She replied, returning my smile with one of her own. "You look pretty good yourself." She added playfully, as we started in the direction of the taxi.

"Only pretty good? Wow, I was hoping for exceptionally good."

Laughing at my teasing tone, she allowed me to open the door for her, and shuffled into the back of the car. I climbed in after her, catching the seductive scent of her perfume, and feeling my body instantly begin to react, as memories of our intimate encounters flooded through my mind. Fighting to keep control, I buckled in and nodded to the driver, and the cab pulled back out into the night.

The ride through town was spent mostly, attempting to stop Lacey's persistent guessing at where we were going, and what we were doing for the evening. When we finally pulled into the turning, she looked out the window and uttered a single word:

"Wow."

I had to admit, I was impressed too, and we hadn't even gotten out of the car yet. The vineyard was entirely lit up under the inky black sky. The grounds were illuminated by hundreds of tiny fairy lights, and the path towards the building was flanked by lanterns. There was a couple walking up ahead, hands interlocked, bodies closely huddled together as though they couldn't get close enough to one another. The cab stopped and I handed over the money before getting out.

Looking around, I'd have never thought that a place like this existed so close to our home. The grounds were so lush, so vibrant. If I didn't know better, I'd have thought that we were standing in Italy.

"This place is stunning." She breathed beside me, turning on the spot to examine all angles of her surroundings.

"Mr and Mrs Knight?" A woman's voice spoke from behind us.

I whirled around, catching Lacey's eye, and seeing an amused smirk on her face at the woman's mistake.

"Erm, we aren't married." I corrected the lady with a small chuckle.

The young woman's cheeks flushed scarlet and she nervously twisted a lock of her blonde hair around her finger.

"Oh gosh, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to-"

"It's okay." I assured her, relieved that Lacey didn't seem bothered by the mistake of being addressed as my wife.

"Thank you," She beamed, regaining her professional composure, "If you'd like to follow me inside, we will begin with the tasting experience."

She led us up the path, and through a set of large, wooden double doors, into a warm and inviting hallway. We kept on ahead until we entered a large room, rich, dark brown furniture, and warm, honey toned wooden surfaces, were illuminated by golden overhead lighting, and accented by the vibrant brick walls. Small tables were set up across the room, with glasses, bottles and various fruits, crackers, breads, meats and cheeses. Three other couples were in the room, and already meandering around the selection, peering at labels on the wine and cider bottles.

"Good evening everyone," The woman who greeted us called to the room at large, taking up position by the closest table. "My name's Anya, and this is my family's vineyard."

She went on to take us through the general theme to tonight's event, explaining a little of the history of the place, before showing us the signature wines that they create. My eyes continuously darted to Lacey as I began to fear that I might have tanked the date idea. But each time that I looked at her, she appeared to be fully engaged with what Anya was saying, smiling gently with interest. I drifted in and out of what was being said, until she finished and allowed us all to wander freely, sampling different beverages from their range.