Relay

"Bane!"

I blinked awake, my eyes dry and tired as the sound of banging echoed through my head. I rolled out of bed recognising Jax's voice at the door, the banging continuing in an extended blast.

"Alright, alright... I'm coming." I called out, stretching and shuffling my way out of the room. "What?" I asked, swinging the door open and scowling at Jax.

He beamed in response, his overly enthusiastic attitude was not received well by me at this point, and the urge to slam the door in his face was strong.

"Calm down dear," He teased, "I'll make the coffee."

He headed straight past me, and disappeared into the kitchen.

"When did people just randomly start walking into my house without being invited?" I shouted after him, his attitude reminding me or Marya's visit.

"Always!" He yelled back.

I sighed and rolled my eyes, not surprised by his cocky reply. Deciding that it wasn't worth replying, I pushed the door closed with my foot, and followed the path he took towards the kitchen.

Jax was already busying himself with the coffee when I got there. He had his back turned to me, shoulder muscles rippling under his blue t-shirt as he reached for the sugar. The cold, tiled floor was making my feet feel like they were glued to ice blocks. I knew that I wouldn't make it back to bed now, there was no chance that Jax would be allowing that.

"I'm gonna get changed." I said as he poured the hot water into the mugs.

"Really? I thought that might be a good look for the occasion." He teased as I left, sarcasm dripping from his every syllable.

"Fuck you." I called out, reaching my bedroom, and ripping the curtains back.

I heard his laugh and the clunk of mugs on the table as I moved to the bathroom.

I took a quick shower, returning back to my room a short time later and opening the chest of drawers to pick some clothes. I grabbed a random pair of dark jeans and pulled them on, swiping a simple white v-neck t-shirt to go with them. I was still tugging it over my head as I went back to the kitchen, then promptly slumped into a chair at the table and began to drink my, now tepid, coffee.

"What's this occasion you have planned?" I asked, pushing the mug away and getting back to my feet. "Toast?"

"Sure, thanks." He answered, finishing the last dregs of his coffee and spinning in his seat to follow my movement across the kitchen. "You forgot about the charity event? I thought you might."

"That's why you're here then. You could have called me you know?" I laughed.

"Yeah, because you always answer your phone in the morning." He replied sarcastically.

"It's my day off, at least I return the call when I'm up." I shrugged. He scowled at me and I rolled my eyes, "Mostly."

He laughed and tilted his head to the side, meeting me halfway with that response.

"Brigade Relay wasn't it?" I asked.

I thought back, faintly recalling something that our Station Officer, Tom Steele, had mentioned at Roll Call.

"That's the one. Different Watches from different Stations. Four to a team.

There had been a bunch of people going around with charity fliers, trying to drum up people who would take part. We were always up for some fun, and SO Steele thought that it would be a great chance for more team building, even better as it was for a good cause too. So he signed us up.