Simmering

Thick black clouds of smoke filled the half destroyed room, whilst huge walls of flames lined both sides of the room, the factory machinery being swallowed by the building fire. The shrill sound of a PASS alarm was ringing out somewhere up ahead, and I could feel panic eating me up inside, knowing that time was running out.

"It's no fucking use." I yelled out as the flames continued to build, despite the huge volumes of water we were showering over them from the hose. "We've got to make a run for it."

"Rebel, no! It's too dangerous." Alex yelled back from behind me. "We have to get these flames under control first."

I knew that it was dangerous, but as the sound of the alarm proceeded to ring through my head, I didn't care. It was a risk that I was going to take, and the moment that I turned around, and my eyes met with Alex's, he knew I wasn't about to take no for an answer.

"Fine." He said sharply, signalling me to move aside for Pixie to take the lead with the hose.

"I'll go too." Rosie called out, nodding to Will, just behind her, and stepping away from the hose.

I felt my eyes bulge as I shook my head.

"No, it's too dangerous, I'll be quick." I argued back.

I couldn't bear the thought of something happening to any of the others because of my decision. But especially Rosie.

"Shut up, I'm coming and that's it."

Her snappy tone made it clear that arguing wasn't going to make her back down. And there definitely wasn't time to fight for this. I admired her courage at coming with me, and backed down, nodding in acceptance, and turned to Alex.

"Pixie, aim the hose towards the doorway, I want a constant stream there until they get through." He shouted, his voice echoing out over the rasping of our BA, and the roaring of the flames.

"Sub!" She called back, immediately directing the hose towards the faint outline of the doorway.

"Make it quick, I don't know how long we can hold the flames off." He added firmly.

"Sub." I nodded.

With a brief glance towards the others, I looked at Rosie and gave her a nod.

"Let's go get him back."

She patted me on the arm in acknowledgement, and together, we ducked low and ran for it. The heat from the enclosing walls of flame rose higher with every second. Sweat streamed down my forehead whilst the alarm sounded louder with every step we took. Water showered the door frame, droplets raining down on my helmet, the deafening crashing sound from the jet of the hose rang in my ears, whilst I rested a hand on Rosie's arm and quickly guided her through.

"Rebel are you through?" Pixie's strained voice crackled over the radio.

"Affirmative. Locating Hustler now."

"Cain!" Rosie yelled out beside me.

The smoke in here was just as bad as in the other room, it hung heavy in the air marring our way ahead. The only thing that was on our side, was the flames being less fierce as they worked their way into the centre of the room.

"He's over there!" I announced, a touch of relief beginning to ease into my gut at the faint outline of Cain's body on the other side of a heavy pillar.

Glancing around, I tried to figure out the best method of approach as fast as I could. The options weren't too great, the best path through, having been claimed by the flames already.