Chapter 7

Cato's POV:

I let go of Clove and looked at her eyes. They seemed to shine in the dim light. I wanted to stay longer, but that would probably seem weird and I didn't want to ruin this new friendship or whatever this is. I turned around and walked away and I could hear her talking to someone. The voice sounded familiar, but I probably just recognised her from school.

Her house was kind of small and rundown, but I had always lived in the richer side of District 2, so it might be normal. I walked until I reached a large white brick house that looked more like a mansion. It was home. I went inside and saw that the house was empty.

"Mum!" I called. "Mimi!" I called. Mimi is our housekeeper and I usually talk to her when I get home if mum's not home. This was strange. I plopped down on the couch and I then heard some footsteps. I turned to see who it was and saw that it was my dad.

Like I told Clove, I don't see him much and when I do I'm usually in trouble. "Your mother has taken Mimi to go shopping." He states as he looks at me. "Where've you been?" He asks as he walks in front of me. "Apparently, you left training early. Yet you came back at the normal time. Where have you been?" He continues when I don't respond.

"I've been out." I say vaguely.

"Where and with who?" He asks as he sits down on the couch in front of me.

"Ice cream shop with a girl from training." I say. There's no use in lying to him since he's going to find out one way or another.

"Cato, you can't spend so much time with girls. You need to focus on your training and those girls are just a distraction. Next time you get to leave training early, you come straight home and train in the basement. We didn't get all of that equipment for nothing." He said strictly as he got up and walked away.

He has always been obsessed with me winning the games. It's probably because he wants me to win like he did. He really is the walking definition of a victor though, he is heartless and obsessed with me winning. My mum, on the other hand, is completely different. She's probably one of the sweetest and kindest people you will ever meet and has always been quite rich. She's never had to worry about the games and always tells me to take a rest when she thinks I've been training too much, but of course my dad always stops her when she tells me this.

I sigh and walk to my room. It's quite large and is pretty empty. The only pieces of furniture that's in the room is my bed, a wardrobe, my desk, a chair, a small lounge and a tv that's never used. The room is painted dark grey and most of the furniture is white. My room also has a bathroom connected to it like every other room in the house. Suddenly, my door flies open and a little girl with blonde hair rushes through the door and towards me. It's my sister, Cassandra. She's 6 years old and has absolutely nothing to do at home. Our dad always gets her to train at home, so I don't usually see her when I get home. I bend down and hug her small body.

"You smell different today." She says as she sniffs me.

"No I don't." I say as I look at her. Her long blonde hair is tied up in a high ponytail that looks kind of messy and her face looks slightly red. She must've just escaped from training with dad.

"You smell kind of girly." She said as she sniffs me one last time.

"Girly?" I say, confused. Then I remember that I hugged Clove. I must smell like her now. "Oh." I say as I realise this.

"What?" She asks as she sits on my bed.

"Nothing." I say as I make my way over to her.

"Have you been hanging out with girls again?" She asks.