Chapter 6

Clove's POV:

I went into the change rooms and changed into jeans and a black shirt. It was a little tighter than I wanted it, since I was going somewhere with Cato, but it would have to do. I slipped my black windbreaker on top and walked outside with my backpack. Cato was already standing in the hallway in a white shirt and some denim jeans. As I approached him, he turned and faced me. "Let's go." I said as I reached him.

He led me to the most expensive ice cream shop in District 2 and I remembered all the times Rose used to bring me here. Before dad left, she used to bring me here every week after school and I would always get lemon sorbet. I started to feel a bit sad, but I tried to keep a straight face. Obviously it didn't work because Cato asked me, "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine." I said dismissively.

"Let's get some ice cream then." Cato said excitedly with a boyish smile. He was kind of cute when he got excited. No! God, why do I keep thinking these things! I thought to myself.

We walked up to the counter and we were greeted by a happy looking man. He looked around 60 years old and was very happy for someone from 2. "What can I get you and the pretty lady?" He said to Cato with a large smile.

"I'll have one scoop of chocolate ice cream. Clove, what would you like?" Cato said as he turned to me.

"One scoop of lemon sorbet." I said to the man.

"Of course." He said as he went to get the ice cream. "I haven't seen you in a while, Clove. Why haven't you come visit me?" The man asked.

"Sorry, I've been really busy with training recently." I replied. I hadn't been here for such a long time, I'm surprised that he remembered who I was.

"How's your mum?" He asked as he handed us the ice cream.

"She's good. How's business?" I asked politely.

"It's good. Well enjoy your date, but please do visit more often." He said with a smile. My eyes widened at the word date and I could feel Cato smirking beside me.

"This isn't a date." I said quickly.

"Oh, sorry. I just assumed that it was. Anyways, have a nice day." He said with a smile.

We walked off with our ice cream and sat down at a table. "So, did you used to come here often?" Cato asked curiously.

"Yeah." I said making sure not to give away too much. He didn't need to know anything about my personal life. I took a bite out of my sour ice cream and I had forgotten how nice the ice cream was here.

"My dad used to bring me here when I was little, but he got too busy with work." Cato commented as we ate. "He never has time for me anymore." Cato said as he took a bite of his ice cream. "When did you come here?"

"My sister used to bring me here when I was younger. We used to come here after school." I replied.

"Why don't you come anymore?" Cato asked.

"I don't want to come back here anymore. Too many memories." I said sadly.

So much for not giving away too much. It doesn't really matter though, everyone that knew her knows that she's dead. "Of what?" He asked confusedly.

"My sister, she died in the Hunger Games." I said.

I think he could tell that I didn't want to talk about it because he just said, "I'm sorry. I didn't know."

"Didn't think you would?" I said as I looked at two little girls that were eating ice cream together. They looked just like Rose and I when we were younger. Tears were threatening to form in my eyes but I couldn't cry, not now and definitely not here.