Chapter 28

Luke sighed. He loved his mother but he really didn't feel like getting out of bed. They were supposed to have lunch in an hour and a half and he has still yet to move out of bed. He felt like having a lazy day since he was off, but he also had missed his mom a lot and wouldn't dream of canceling on her.

He got up out of bed and started getting ready for the day. He put on his black jeans and a button up shirt. He fixed his hair and brushed his teeth before putting on deodorant and cologne. He slipped shoes on and grabbed his keys. He had planned on getting his mother a bouquet of flowers before meeting her, even though he knew they wouldn't last long. They would especially not make it back to Australia but it was okay. His mom deserved the best. He could always send her bigger and beautiful flowers when she got home.

He walked out to his car and got in and buckled. He drove to the nearest florist and parked. He got out and walked inside and was automatically overwhelmed by the strong scent of flowers. The smell really made him have to sneeze and would usually make him want to leave right away but he stuck it out for his mom.

"Hello, how can I help you?" A cute little old lady asked as she walked up to the counter.

"Hi, I'm looking for flowers that I can give to my mom." He says.

She smiles. "Aww, that's really sweet of you. Do you know what kind you want?"

"No, not really." He chuckles and looks around. "All the different choices are overwhelming."

"Well fear not," She smiles. "I think I have the perfect thing for you."

She leads him over to a cooler full of different colorful flowers and looks at them all, trying to find the one she was talking about. Luke looked at all the flowers as she asked him, "What is her favorite color?"

"Umm... I'm not really sure. I remember it changing a lot when I was growing up. One day it would be pink and the next day it would be red." He says.

"Then I'd suggest a mix of colors. Is that okay with you?" She asks.

He nods with a smile. "Whatever you think is best."

She smiles and picks out a few different colored roses and puts them together in a wrap with other things.

"How does this look?" She asks.

"Perfect." He smiles.

"Good, I'm glad." She smiles before ringing him up. "That will be $10.00."

"That's it? I thought it would be more expensive." He says.

"It's sweet what your doing." She smiles. "I gave you a big discount."

"Won't you get in trouble?" He asks.

"Honey, I own this place." She smiles.

"That makes sense." He chuckles. "You're great with flowers."

"Thank you dear, have a nice day." She smiles after he pays. "I hope to see you again soon."

"I'll be back for sure." He smiles.

She smiles back and waves as he walks out of the store with the flowers. He gets back in his car and starts to drive to the place where he planned on meeting his mom. Once he gets there, he parks and gets out and waits for her in the waiting area after putting his name on the waitlist.

She comes soon and smiles. "Hello Luke."

"Hi mom." He says and hugs her. "I got you flowers." He hands them over to her as soon as they pull out of the hug.

"Aww thank you." She smiles. "This made my day."

"Good, I'm glad." He smiles as his name gets called by the host.

The host leads the two back to a table before giving them the menu. "Enjoy."

They both thank her and sit down. They both look at the menu and pick what they want before a server comes over and takes the drink and food orders.

"So, what's new with you?" Luke asks his mom as the server walks away with their orders.

"Not much. Your dad and brothers are going to come down tomorrow and visit. I decided to stay an extra week." She says.

He smiles. "I can't wait for them to get here. I want them to meet Kaitlyn so badly."

Liz nods and looks down and her hands.

"What's wrong mom?" Luke asks her.

"Can we just talk about her for a second?" She asks.

"What about her?" He asks.

"I don't think she's right for you." She says.

"What? Why not?" He asks. "You seemed to have really liked her the other day."

"Yes but then I thought about it more." She says.

"And?" He asks.

"I'm sorry but I just don't see you two working out." She says.

"Mom, I promise it will. I love her." He says.

"I know you do, but I also know that you have said that about your past few girlfriends that I've strongly disliked. Remember them? They all ended up hurting you in the end. Mother knows best." She says.

"It's different this time." Luke tells his mother.

"How so? Please help me to understand because last time you said that, it turned out to be the same." She says.

Luke sighs in defeat. He knew it wasn't worth arguing about because Liz was never going to give in and actually listen.

"Luke, you know I only want what's best for you. You're my baby boy. Ben and Jack never listened to me. I don't want you to hurt like them. If I can protect your heart, then I'm going to try my best to do so." She says.

"I know mom." He sighs. "But if I end up listening to you then I'm going to have a lonely heart again. I'll die with a lonely heart if you never let me experience heartbreak. I really think this time with be different and you need to respect my decision because I'm not going to break up with her. I think she'll be the one." He says.

Liz goes to say something but gets interrupted by the drinks coming out. The server puts them down on the table and says, "the food should be out soon."

They both nod. "Thank you."

The server smiles and walks away. They both sit in awkward silence and wait for the food to come out. It comes out eventually and they both eat in silence. Luke pays the bill when they are done eating and then they both get ready to leave. They walk to the door in silence and Liz is the first one to speak.

"Want to have dinner with your dad, brothers and me tomorrow night?" She asks.

"Yeah, sure." He says.

"Thank you for dinner." She smiles and hugs him.

"No problem." He says and hugs back.

She lets go of him and he goes to walk away but she stops him. "Luke?"

"Yes?" He asks.

"If you aren't going to let me protect your heart, please promise me that you'll protect it yourself?" She asks.

"I promise." He says.

She smiles and walks next door to her hotel as he walks to his car. He gets in the car and sighs and punches the steering wheel.

All he ever wanted to do was make his mother happy, but he was tired of her getting all up in his business. He found the perfect girl for himself who he knew wouldn't break his heart and his mother was just going to have to accept it. Maybe she was right with all the girls, but Luke was sure she wasn't right this time.

-
A/N-

Flowers pictured above because I'm not good at describing shit 😂