Last Minute Doubts

Start from the beginning

Clary only nodded cause that lump in her throat had gotten bigger.

“This will most likely not help but that could always happen even if you'd be a mundane. But whatever happens you're not alone. This whole family regardless if related by blood, marriage or through friendships takes care of each other and that also includes any offspring of yours. But most likely you have Jace by your side.”

“Maryse, I never really got to thank you for being so supportive throughout the last months.”

“You don't have to thank for me. I'm glad that you confided in me.”

“But then on the other hand isn't it weird we never talked about if you approve Jace's and my relationship?”

“Did we really have to? Clary, you changed him so much and for the better... I still remember how Jace was when we took him in. He was so closed off and wary of everyone around him but knowing what Valentine taught him, it didn't come as much of a surprise.”

“I know. He once told me how he wanted to run away after being bullied.”

“And I didn't know about it until I found out that whenever Jace played piano, Alec was around to make sure no one would mock him for it. I was mad they didn't tell me. But then Jace told me he didn't want Alec to say anything because he didn't want to appear as weak. It broke my heart that he felt that way and I wanted to comfort him while he kept repeating, he couldn't be weak though he was on the brink of tears. I wished he would meet someone who would crack his shell open and I'm glad it was you. I've never seen him so happy since the day you came back here.”

“Jace told me that you and Luke never urged him to move on from me. That meant a lot for him, also that you supported his decision to be deruned to be with me.”

“It took me a while to understand it but all of my children know very well for themselves what's the best for them and who and what makes them happy. I knew he would consider this option sooner or later.”

Both of them looked at the painting on the opposite wall.

“I was so surprised that Jace bought it.”

“To be honest I'm not. We had a conversation after he watched you painting it. He knew what it represented and how much it pained you to subconsciously feel it meant something for you as well but you couldn't grab it. I thought, the 10 years old boy we took in was lost but that was nothing compared to the pain Jace felt when he knew you belonged together and couldn't be. And I realized he would do whatever it would take to be with you. I knew his happiness depended on it and there's nothing I had wanted more for him.”

“Thinking about it all, that kiss there had been such a defining moment for our relationship back then and for it now. And I'm just hoping that everything will go well.”

“It will. Everything has been taken care of and you'll be fine.”

“Thank you.”

“It's all good. And you should try to get some rest. You have a long day ahead of you.”

“I know.”

They hugged before Maryse left Clary alone.

“Clary, by the angel. Can you just sit still for a moment or do you want me to burn you with a curling iron?”

“I'm sorry, Iz. It's just my nerves.”

“I know but please calm down. We're nearly done and I really don't get why you're so nervous at all. You and Jace already behave like an old married couple. This wedding is literally not more than a formality.”