27. Felinophobic Pharaoh

Start from the beginning

"Yes, it is your Majesty," she hurried, not before having one last peek at the warrior Cassander.

Heck, yet another notable companion of Alexander. If only I could take a groupfie. She groaned inwardly.

Bringing the tub behind Alexander's head, she began to wash his hair with the orange water.

The first thing she came to know as his concubine was,
He preferred to keep his hairs shiny and orange blonde with saffron water.

The last time she was with him, he was drunk. Way more than the Stratos guy given during her final selection. And then her thoughts drifted to a particular man.

He was the one carrying a half-drunk, half-asleep Alexander and shoved him into her room. She was open-mouthed, not because the greatest ruler of all times was a heavy drunkard, but that man.

Who looked like a very manly version of someone she knew closely.

Cassander chuckled, "You are currently ruling two million square miles, Alexander. What's the need to kill Darius?"

"Man, that King of slaves is such a thing. He literally fled the war at Issus with his chariot, while his poor army fought on," Hephaestion tched, shaking his head as a concubine applied olive oil in his hairs.

"Don't forget he's still the legitimate king of Asia," Alexander retorted.
"And to expand our territory further east, we need to kill him first."

"Not to mention his mother was so embarrassed by his coward escapade, she insisted on adopting Alexander as her son," another warrior said, amused.

Lola listened to everything in the deepest details, not missing on anything that she could write in her travelogue.

"I was wondering since I'll leave Egypt for Darius's pursuit, I want to put my mark here. More like people in future would know this beautiful desert kingdom and..."
He turned around to face Lola, running a finger gently down her cheek.
"The beautiful ladies I won here," he snickered, letting go of his hand.

Lola blushed furiously, hiding her face with the back of her hand.

"I would like to build a city here. Any names? All of you can add your views," he offered.

The second thing she got to know about him was,
He wasn't a private man. At all.

Many kings preferred a private life and didn't want to be bothered by generals or their army except on certain occasions, but Alexander was the opposite.

He ate, talked, bathed, practised and laughed with his army. This was what made him the most loved king of all times. People weren't afraid of him, but were ready to die for his sake. That was the reason his army remained bind to him.
An army of freemen, as he liked to call them.

"Lola and Alexander makes Lolander. How's that?" Cassander yowled from the corner.

"Lola and Cassander also makes Lolander buddy," someone joked as the warriors guffawed at the bizarre name. The concubines laughed softly to themselves.

"Hm, what's your take Lola?" Alexander asked with a smile.

She held her breath. This was going to be a crucial decision in history. One word by her and it could alter the existing system.

"Uh- what can a concubine like me say, Your Majesty?" she uttered.

"Now, now, I don't discriminate. You are free to give your opinion," he winked.

She was close to sweating. It didn't take long for her to understand that he was talking about the city of Alexandria. A city that would grow to become one of the most famous port city in today's world.