Mommy Dearest

Maddie for four weeks now has been practically stalking her mother. Learning her daily routine and the people she interacts with.

She was comfortable overseeing her life in the shadows, too afraid to make her presence known until today.

Maddie had planned to talk to her at the cafe she normally visits for an afternoon coffee break.

Maddie was just waiting for her mother to arrive before she would head in.

Maddie's cellphone rang distracting her from her mission. She slipped it out of her bag and snuck a peek at the caller ID. It was Serena calling for the millionth time.

Serena, Blair and Nate had called at least once each day and constantly left voicemails Maddie refuses to listen to. She ended the call and focused on at the cafe across the street.

Her mother had just arrived and walked in greeting the staff. Maddie got up from the park bench she was seated on and made her way inside as well.

Maddie scanned the small cafe to find her mother seated in the window seat waiting for her coffee to be served.

Maddie took a deep breath before making her way over.

"Genevieve DuPont?" Maddie asked getting the attention of the woman in front of her.

"I'm sorry no pictures today" she sweetly responded.

"I'm your daughter. Madeline Rose" Maddie said stripping her hat and sunglasses to reveal her red hair and brown eyes.

Genevieve has a shocked expression making Maddie worried coming her was all for nothing. Genevieve, however, jumped up from her seat engulfing her in a hug.

"Sit, sit please" Genevieve said. Maddie could hear her European accent and figured she was born and raised somewhere in Europe.

"Your father sends pictures each year but you are gorgeous in person" she said rummaging through her bag.

"My dad sends pictures?" Maddie asked.

"Every year I would get some holiday photos, birthdays and just random pictures along with a note from your father about what had taken place since last time. Last one I received was about your graduation from Constance. Columbia University correct?" Genevieve asked.

"Yeah I just finished my first year" Maddie said. Genevieve smiled grabbing Maddie's hands in hers as they rested in the middle of the table.

"It is so good to finally see you. So tell me everything about you"

"First can you tell me why you left" Maddie said pulling her hands back. She wanted the truth before she became attached.

"Well I met your father at college. That was the first thing that made my parents mad. They wanted me to attend school in Europe preferably Oxford. I wanted to attend school in America and I chose Yale. After school ended your father and I talked about getting married and having kids. Settling down together. My parents didn't like that either" Genevieve began. Maddie listened intensely.

"I loved your father but my parents refused to let me marry him. So I thought having a child out of wedlock would have changed their minds. It didn't obviously so after you were born I headed back to Europe. I figured you were better with your father who could raise you in a more freeing and open minded environment"

"So you did leave, dad wasn't lying about that" Maddie muttered under her breathe.

"It looks as though your dad did an amazing job raising you. Better than I could have done"

Maddie scoffed at that comment.

"My dad was never home. I was raised by the maids and the assistants of my dad's. Did he tell you the truth about me in high school. In the letter?" Maddie asked.

Genevieve looked hurt. "I know I wasn't there but believe me I have thought of you everyday. Let me make it up to. You can stay with me for the summer....I want to get to know you not just the you in the notes and photos"

"I'd like that" Maddie said with a smile. Genevieve patted her hand. The coffee came out and the two continued to talk, catching up on 19 years of life.

"So do you have a boyfriend?" Genevieve asked.

"I assume dad told you about Chuck in the letters. We broke up for the hundredth time. It's officially over" Maddie said rolling her eyes at the thought of Chuck.

"Not that I'm delighted by your breakup but I do have some big news. I remarried when I came back to Europe"

"Oh I don't mind I found out about Katy Benedict like a year ago anyways" Maddie rambled on.

"I married a prince. The prince of Germany actually. It was arranged by my parents. The queen and king are stepping down soon and his daughter from a previous marriage was to become the next princess in line but since you are mine and older that makes you next in line" Genevieve announced.

"Oh I don't think-"

"Decisions don't need to be made until September. For now we have the whole summer to get to know each other" Genevieve said with a smile Maddie couldn't resist to love.

Although she had only met her minutes ago she felt connected in many ways she couldn't explain.