Chapter 23

It had been hours, it was past midnight and a cold wind raged across the valley. Kate felt Cutler's hand still holding hers through the bars weakening, she noticed the soft snores beside her face against the bars. He had fallen asleep, just as almost everyone else. The cold wind made her shiver, goosebump covered her pale skin. Kate moved her cape up to cover herself some more. Her eyes moved to Tia Dalma who too seemed to be wide awake, staring at her from out the corner of the cage, there was something strange about this woman, she could feel it. But she couldn't put her finger on it. Kate decided to leave it to rest for now.

The next morning everyone started to wake as the sun moved from behind the mountains. If it weren't for the poor conditions they were in they might have enjoyed such a beautiful scenery. Kate saw Cutler smiling at her from behind the bars, their hands were still tangled into one another. Kate's body felt stiff and moving up her back ached, it wasn't a surprise laying on the cage made from bones all night. Jack moved up and started to pace around, moving quite easily over the bars.

'What troubles you, Jack?' Kate noticed his concern.

'It won't take long before they'll return' Jack was looking up to the cliff.

'I kept on wondering, why are we separated?' Cutler asked watching Jack pace around in the cage which seemed to irritate him, annoyed by the fact Jack and Kate were sharing one cage.

'They think he is a woman' Mercer spoke sarcastically, laughing at the fact Jack was sharing the cage with two women. Some Company men started laughing along. Jack lowered his hat so that his face was visible, he seemed annoyed but ignored Mercer's insult.

'They think I am a god of some sort, trapped in this body' Jack spoke. Mercer started laughing even louder.

'And why would they think "you" are a god?' Mercer was leaning against the bones holding the cage together, his weathered face covered by the shadow of his dark green hat.

'Because I speak their language, they think it is a gift' Jack grinned while he moved down to the ground and laid back in the cage as if it was time to nap.

'Any explanation as to why they would put you in a cage?' Cutler asked with a sarcastic tone in his voice.

'They are afraid I might escape. I await the same fate as you do. But they will roast me to release me from being trapped in this body' Jack explained.

'Kate and Tia Dalma being women intrigues them, they don't come across many women other than their own. So they will probably be sacrificed to the gods as well. The rest of you will be food' Jack spoke as if it was nothing to annoy them. When lowering his face to Kate who was staring at him out of concern and utter disbelief he moved himself up and took her hand.

'Don't worry love, we will escape' Jack whispered changing the look on his face to ensure her. Cutler could hear him whisper and rolled his eyes.

'Well inlight us with your plan Sparrow' Cutler whispered.

'I.. haven't thought of one just yet. But it will come to me!' Jack spoke as if he knew what he was talking about.

An hour passed and everyone raised their eyes to some Pelegot men standing on the cliff. They moved up the cage all pulling the large robes, opening the small door of the cage once it arrived at the edge of the cliff. It was Jack and Kate's cage they opened and Kate noticed Cutler standing up right away, afraid she might be taken with them. But it seemed like they came for Jack. Just before they entered the cage Jack moved to Kate and pushed something in her direction. It was his sword, he started to tie it to the belt she was wearing.

'Jack, what are you doing? You'll might need this!' Kate stared at him in disbelief.

'No you will need it more' Jack stared into her eyes. Jack had a plan, he always did. Almost like he knew what was going to happen. They lifted him by his arms and pulled him out, shutting the door behind him, locking it. The cage started to move down into the deep abyss again.