Chapter 11

The dinner had ended and the guests were enjoying music played by one of the musicians at the piano. People were engaged in conversations and some were dancing to the music. Kate being slightly shorter than Cutler was resting her head on his shoulder when he had asked her to dance moments earlier. The music was playing a slow song. She was happy not to hide their feelings any longer. Kate lifted her head and their eyes met again once the dance ended.

They made their way to Rebecca at the other side of the room who stood by the piano and was singing along with the music. It wasn't the purest voice they had ever heard, but Kate smiled at Rebecca when she had winked at her while singing. Her husband, Admiral Thomas was watching her proudly. Kate had to grin when she saw Cutler rolling his eyes.

'William, I believe your wife has delighted us long enough. Perhaps some other ladies would like to have a turn?' Jack had entered the conversation, probably not enjoying her singing like everyone else except her husband. Jack was looking at Rebecca standing next to the piano his eyes moved to Admiral Thomas who seemed offended. Kate had to turn around to not show her face cracking up on Jack being so brutally honest, her eyes meeting Cutler having the same grin on his face. Jack caught Kate's amused face.

'Perhaps Miss Florence would like a turn?' Kate's sight shifted to Jack as he spoke, her concerned eyes tried to beg him not to ask. But Jack's serious face, which still contained a natural grin, kept looking at her.

'Oh no I don't.. sing' Kate stumbled upon her words.

'That is disappointing. Maybe you can make it up to me by accepting a dance?' Jack spoke without shame and looked down at Cutler. Cutler moved his eyes to Jack when he spoke, his face turning strict. Kate took Cutler's arm to ensure him it was alright.

'Well, I think that's the least we can do to thank Captain Sparrow for saving your life' Cutler spoke with a sarcastic tone in his voice, looking from Jack to Kate. Her cheeks colored when he mentioned it, remembering she had not yet told him. Jack raised his hand and Kate took it. When moving to the dance floor she looked back at Cutler from over her shoulder. Jack moved in front of her taking her hand with his and her waist with his other hand. Kate had to look up at him, he was quite taller than she was. When the music started they moved into dance.

'I didn't think you'd dance Captain Sparrow' Kate was surprised he had asked her. Jack looked down at her, by the look on his face he seemed to be amused.

'Well, usually I don't, but I need some excuse to get to know the woman I've been saving earlier' when Jack spoke Kate's eyes staring over his shoulder shifted to his. Kate wasn't sure why he seemed so interested in getting to know her, but remembering Rebecca she was sure he was a ladies man, and he didn't seem to be bothered by women that were 'taken'.

'What does a woman like you see in a man like Lord Beckett?' Kate turned her eyes on Cutler in the distance and then back at Jack. That was bold to ask.

'What kind of "woman" do you suppose I am?' Kate decided to return his ridiculous question.

'Well, I think you are not interested in his wealth. I suppose you have enough of this' when Jack spoke the last words of his sentence he took a piece of the diamond necklace she was wearing and raised it in his fingers.

'Do you not believe in love, Captain Sparrow? What a shame' Kate said sarcastically and turned her head while still dancing so that Jack had to let go of almost touching her neck.

'Not yet' Jack had moved Kate out of his grip and made her twirl around holding her hand above her head. Improvising a part into the original dance she had known since she was a little girl.

'I'm not sure that twirl was supposed to be in there' Kate saw some people watching them, but Jack didn't seem to mind standing out. Kate couldn't help a chuckle but the smile on her face soon disappeared when Jack had turned her around and pulled her full body to him, their chests clashing together, his arm tightly around her waist. Jack's face was inches apart, he moved his head slightly to the side. Kate smelled the alcohol that he had consumed earlier this evening when he spoke.