Chapter 3

'May I ask your destination if we hadn't been captured?' Kate was curious to whom he was and why he was aboard the East India Trading Company's ship. She couldn't tell herself why, but there was something mysterious and interesting about him. Once she got curious she needed to know, which let her speak her mind too fast sometimes.

'Of course, you may. I work at the office of the East India Company in London, I started there a year ago and just recently got the opportunity to visit one of the offices on the Spanish coast. It's my ambition to get higher up in the Company, so this was my chance. I would love to travel the world and make the Company grow' Cutler spoke full of ambition.

Kate wanted to open her mouth to say something but stopped when he mentioned he worked in London, surprised by the fact he lived in the same city. Even though her father's Company required them to travel a lot and she was never very long in one place, as she had been sailing the sea since she was only a little girl. But her father was going to put a stop to that soon as she was the proper age to marry now. There were too many fine matches out there, her father's words, and she could only keep sailing the seas if her future husband's occupation would let her. She hated it and didn't want to be married off as she did not care for a man's rank or wealth. Kate wanted to be married out of love, but she knew it was a silly thought and a rare thing to do so for a woman in her position. At least up until now, she prevented her father from actually giving her away.

'That's very ambitious' Kate looked at Cutler smiling while her fingers brushed the silk of her dress where the hem was thorn by everything that happened.

'But you seem like an intelligent man Cutler' Kate spoke underneath her breath carefully, but her voice had been firm.

Cutler thanked her with a smile and felt his face heat up a little.

'So what is your story?' Cutler looked at her curiously returning the question.

'My story?' Kate stopped playing with the fabric of her dress and her fingers lowered to the wood of the floor.

'I too live in London, for the time being, with my father. We travel a lot for his company, soon we will leave for the Caribbean' Kate shrugged her shoulders making it clear she wasn't entirely agreeing with her father's plans.

Cutler's face looked surprised when she spoke of the fact she lived in London as well. London was big but he was surprised they'd never met, she'd stand out from any crowd.

'Fortunately, I do like to sail, I don't see it as a bother.. actually I rather love it. You learn a lot on the waters' Kate seemed to be quite honest with him. It wasn't expected of a woman to love sailing, but Cutler was glad she was showing her true feelings, it felt like a sign she had started to trust him.

'You don't come across women sailing a lot, let alone voluntarily' Cutler admired her sense of adventure. This was one of the things that made her different from the rest.

'I know it's not normal for a woman to sail so much..' Kate's voice was quieter this time. Cutler quickly raised his glance away from her when she'd lowered her head and for a moment he was afraid he offended her.

'But that's admirable, I like it' Cutler had whispered softly into her direction, after that her sight returned to his as she crooked her head into his direction. As her eyes traveled down Cutler noticed both their hands on the ground where his fingers had lightly touched hers. As he realized he quickly moved his hand away and acted as if he was scratching the back of his head.

'But soon all the traveling will end I'm afraid. No more adventures for me' Kate spoke sarcastically, it was noticeable she was smiling away the disappointment. Cutler, happy she didn't bring it up after he removed his hand, slightly tilted his head, his eyes asking.