Chapter 5

The rain tapped on the window loudly the evening after and while sitting at his desk with nothing but a small candlelight Cutler was already continuing his work at the office. It was a good way to keep his mind from everything that happened. Besides the fact that there was a lot of work to catch up to. The East India Company didn't care for his little adventure and work needed to be done.

Across from him sat George at his desk. Earlier this day Cutler and he were reunited, amazed by the story of how George had survived and actually made it to the island, after that spending two days on it, ending up being saved by a passing ship.

'You have to tell her Cutler. Tell her she can't go' George released a sigh and laid down his quill. George was sure of the feelings Kate had for Cutler in return and he wanted to show him she just didn't want to be the first one to admit, afraid of breaking her heart, afraid of what her father will do.

'I don't even know where exactly in the Caribbean Lord Florence will settle down. Even if I were to go after her I have nowhere to start' Cutler raised his eyes to George.

'Where's the persevering Cutler that I know? Start by asking around, someone should know where his Company is moving to' George spoke up while scribbling onto his parchment quickly.

'Already done that. It seems to be top secret. This man knows what he's doing, George' Cutler spoke, he was always three steps ahead of anyone. He let out a sigh and rested his head on his hand holding it up.

'It's obvious you'll be willing to do anything for her' George was smiling as he was the witness that had seen them growing toward each other.

'Even if I were to find her, no one says she will be choosing me. I wouldn't choose me.. look at me' Cutler shrugged his shoulder now looking up at George.

'Kate is, in the end, the one to make that decision, not her father, not you' George had stood up from his chair speaking with a strict tone to his voice. He walked to the window while yawning. Cutler didn't answer and stared at the candle burning inside the lantern on his desk. George was standing the doorway, about to leave and make his way home, he watched Cutler.

'Make your decision tonight, before she leaves. Or you'll regret it forever' George disappeared in the dark, closing the door behind him. He was right. If Cutler wanted something to happen he needed to do this himself. Holding fate in his own hands.

With rain still pouring down, Cutler made his way through the dark and quiet alleys to the docks. His black cape, tricorne hat, and boots protected him from getting soaked. Once arriving at the docks he saw the HMS Victoria ready to set port again, the ship that had saved him from the nightmare.

Moving closer he suddenly felt a gloved hand on his shoulder who roughly pulled him to the side. The rain and fog made it hard for him to see who was interrupting him almost reaching the ship. He only saw the silhouette of a tall man, he blinked a few times but did not need to see his face as his voice spoke, Cutler recognized it immediately.

'I knew you would come here tonight' the deep voice of Lord Florence spoke. Cutler was surprised and did not expect this at all. But he knew he wasn't waiting for him to show up because he was going to tell him any good news. The breath of Lord Florence burned on his face as he was holding his upper left arm in a tight grip, making sure he wasn't going anywhere close to the ship.

'She isn't interested in you, you hear me?! Once we will arrive at our destination she will finally marry and only someone with a title will be good enough for her' his harsh words spoke but left Cutler cold.

'Isn't she able to make her own decisions then?' Cutler hissed back at him. Lord Florence took Cutler brutally by his collar, looking him straight into his eyes.

'I am only going to say this once Mr. Beckett. You will leave my daughter alone. Or I will hunt you down no matter the cost' Lord Florence hissed.

Before Cutler could call out any words Lord Florence had let go of his grip on him and disappeared in the dark, making his way to the ship when there was a call from the crow's nest on deck to make everyone aware the ship was leaving.

This part of the docks was heavily guarded by red coats and there was no other option than to see the ship leave from where he was standing. Cutler's eye fell on the right side of the ship and he saw a figure standing close to the edge. Her red hair waved in the wind, staring into the distance. Cutler saw Kate looking into his direction, he was sure she had seen him. He wondered what was going through her mind, but he was sure she wasn't thinking what Lord Florence had said.

The grand white sails caught in the wind and made the ship pursued it's way deeper into the ocean. He was holding on to the words she spoke the last time he saw her. He promised to keep in touch with her and he would, as he always kept his promises to her. He will show the world that he's good enough for her. And one day they'll meet again..