Chapter Twenty-Three: Getting Drilled

"What were you thinking?! Honestly, what has gotten into you?!" Gemma sends her piercing gaze my way.

"I don't know," I mumble.

     Gemma's eyebrows raise, "You don't know? Axel, you can't just go around punching people you don't like."

"Why not?" I snap back, my calm demeanour vanishing. 

"Are you honestly trying to argue with a woman?" The voice inside my head interjects, laughing in disbelief.

"Not now."

"Because you're injured that's why. You're going to make yourself worse."

     A series of barks suddenly erupts throughout the hallway thankfully interrupting Gemma.

     A four-legged ball of grey and white fluff comes into view. Rilo follows close behind with a toothy grin on his face, something I have never seen him do. Today is just full of surprises.

     Gemma's mouth falls open, letting out an excited squeal. At least now I do not have to face her never-ending wrath.

"...Oh, not a dog." the voice wavers much to my surprise.

"Aw, she's so cute! What's she called?" Gemma questions, picking up the fluffy husky. She brings the dog up near her face. She allows the small critter to spread its saliva over her face making me cringe in disgust.

"Pups," Rilo states proudly in all seriousness. A mocking snort of laughter leaves my mouth.  Rilo's eyebrows furrow in confusion and cluelessness.

"You-you have a puppy...and you called it...Pups." I snigger trying to contain myself. Trust Rilo to be creative like that. Somehow I am not surprised.

"Yeah, why?" he sends his confused gaze my way then to Gemma, shrugging it off, "Anyway, Gemma, it's time for your physical training."

"It's time already?" Gemma whines looking down at the puppy with a disappointed expression. A wide smile soon takes over her face as she looks back up at me, "You wanna hold him?"

"Uhm no, I'm good thanks," I hesitantly stumble backwards, seeing Gemma stepping towards me. She holds out the dog as it pants with its tongue hanging out of its mouth excitedly.

"Get that thing away from us!" Charthrax voice booms inside my head.

     I do not have time to react, Gemma shoves the puppy into my arms. Petting the husky one last time she turns on her heel bouncing off towards the elevator at the end of the hallway leaving me with the puppy.

     Stuttering around cluelessly I peer down at the ball of fur in my arms, seeing it's pleading icy blue eyes staring back up at me. What am I meant to do with it? Lifting my hand I lightly pat the creature's head, completely unenthused. It suddenly pounces up, scrambling up my chest and up near my face. 

"Ah! Get it off, NOW!" the voice panics. I would laugh at him, but I do in fact have a dog trying to lick my face off.

     I am bombarded by dog slobbers being smeared over my face. In a state of panic, I grab the dog, managing to pry it off me.

     Rilo starts going hysterical in laughter at the sight of me.

"It's not funny..." I mumble.

"Oh, but it so is." he chuckles trying to catch his breath. He whistles 'Pups' over bending over to pick her up.

     My eyes roll back in annoyance, "Whatever, so what's this physical training you were going on about?" I try changing the subject.

     Rilo straightens his face, regaining his usual serious composure, "Gemma wants to join the Combat Unit. We don't let just anyone in, they have to pass the physical standards required. It's not an easy job."

"Maybe there's some fun to be had with that." Carthrax annoyingly interjects.

     It does sound better than cleaning and washing dishes, actually, anything does. I arch my eyebrow gaining mild interest, "What exactly does the Combat Unit do?"

"Combat," he replies plainly.

"Oh, really? Who would'a thought?" I ask, my voice laced with sarcasm.

     Rilo lets out another chuckle, "We do a lot of different things, most of our efforts are directed at Umbra. We're trying to take them down, for good, but it's slow work. We've been rescuing mutants and destroying their facilities for years, but they always make more."

     I nod my head, "Sounds fun."

     He gives me a strange look, "Well, that's one way to look at it I guess." He stays silent for another moment, then continuing, "Hey, what happened to your neck?"

     "Well, now you're in trouble."

     I chuckle nervously, "I may have done some...training with Borg."

"W-why would you do that?! You barely made it out of Umbra alive and you're already picking fights? "

"Well I-I knew Borg from back at that Umbra place, and let's just say he had it coming." I manage to stammer out.

"Oh, would you just stop stuttering! You're making a fool of yourself!"

"Look I get it, okay? You've been through a lot, we all have, and we all have different ways of dealing with it, but you gotta control yourself, man. You probably have a lot of rage in you, I know I do," he says motioning to himself, "but if you don't keep it in check it can be dangerous and it has consequences."

     I look away, "It won't happen again."

"Good."

A/N: Thank you for reading and let me know if you liked ti! Until next time.

-ѕиιρєявαιт