Chapter Sixteen: The Overseer

One well-placed punch to the nose sent the mutant flying into a wall. Much to my satisfaction, a few cracks sounded upon the impact of body and wall. That will make him think twice before threatening the life on some helpless kid. Of course, my joy was short-lived when I see guards flood the room mere seconds after, but I am long used to being disappointed by now. I know the drill, get on my knees, put my hands up, have one of the guards taser me with an overpowered stick while my friends sit there shaking their heads. It is that or get the life beat out of me for resisting.

"Can a man not just enjoy his lunch break without having to drag you off to your cell? This is becoming a habit G7." One of the guards I had come to know quite well asked while escorting me back to my cell to spend the rest of this miserable day. Escorting sounds like more of a nice word, dragging is probably more realistic.

     Only a few minutes later all the rest of the mutants begin to be taken back to their cells also. This is rather strange since it is not anywhere near time for them to return to their cells, I myself am only here because I got in trouble.

"What's going on?" I ask no one in particular when a small group of guards bring all my other cellmates over.

"The Overseer is coming." One of them responds simply. He gives no other explanation than that then leaving after putting the mutants in their cells. Am I meant to know what that means?

"Who on earth is the Overseer?" I ask my cellmate, Daesung merely gives a shrug. It's safe to say everyone else is just as clueless as me.

     I settle down at the other side of the cell not really wanting to be near anyone, though due to the lack of space it does not make a whole lot of difference.

     Recently I had been getting more strange dreams. They seem more like memories than dreams, but it does not feel like a good idea to tell anyone else. For all I know, Umbra could re-wipe my mind if they found out. George told me he has gotten memories back and I suspect Ellie has as well. No one else apart from those two.

     I would like to think they have just been a series of strange dreams and thoughts. The things I have been remembering have been unpleasant, to say the least. If they were actually real my mom was a druggie who got arrested, George was a bully, and my girlfriend dumped me for something I do not even know about. Though I would take that life over this one it does not exactly sound ideal. Maybe if my mind was re-wiped it would not be all that bad, but I do not want to forget my friends, I may not have much, but I do have them.

      There was one dream, in particular, that was really starting to get to me. I remembered being in a small enclosed space, I think it was a wooden box. I was quite young at the time and details were a little sketchy, but I can remember hearing raised voices. The commotion, a thud, then silence. I saw out of a keyhole not long after a woman enters the room.

     She left with a frail-looking woman, half stumbling out of the room. I dared not make a sound.

     No one came back after that. I remember being in the darkness for so long. I had shouted for hours, but no one came, and it was then that I had deeply regretted not saying something whilst I had the chance to before they left. My mom put me in there to protect me from someone, but she must have forgotten afterwards.

     I can recall my knuckles hurting from trying to punch the roof of the box, the pain in my throat from the shouting, and how the adrenaline and panic pumped through my veins. I could scream and shout all I wanted, but no one was coming, and no one did, not for a long time.

     Something taps on my hand. Looking down I see a single drop of crimson liquid. I look around in confusion for a moment before realising my nose is bleeding, I rub it with my hand smearing blood onto my fingers.

"Eh, are you okay?" George says shooting me a confused look,  "You're shaking."

     Looking down and holding my hands out I can see they are indeed shaking rather violently and without hesitation, I put them back down in embarrassment.

     Before anything else can be said the sound of various sets of footsteps echoes throughout the cellblock corridor.

     An older looking man in a white suit comes walking down the corridor with various guards at all angles for protection. Whoever he is he must be pretty important. Perhaps he is the 'Overseer' that was mentioned.

     The strange man slows his pace to look in a couple of the cells before turning to say, "These are the newest batch of mutants I take it?"

     Dr Lopez, who I had not even seen was there until now nods, "Yes Overseer. Almost all of them are mutated and ready."

     That answers the question of whether or not he is the Overseer and leads to another question, ready for what?

     Whatever it is it brings a smile to the man's face as he responds, "Good work. Have the necessary arrangements complete and I'll have them all imported by the end of the month."

     That does not sound good. Things just go from bad to worse here.

     As the Overseer continues walking he turns his head and his eyes catch mine.

"What happened to this one?" he asks in a curious but stern voice. He then mumbles, "Looks like someone I know."

"Ah G7. Always causing problems that one. Don't know what it is this time." the doctor replies shaking her head in dismay.

"If it's that much trouble you could just dispose and replace him." the Overseer responds, taking two steps closer to my cell. Two steps too close that is. Within a matter of mere seconds, I find myself lunging forward from the ground and over to the cell bars with my scaled hand wrapped around his neck.

     As though everything is in slow motion the man's face begins to turn a deep shade of purple and everyone's eyes slowly begin to widen to humongous sizes.

"Ah you stupid animal!" the doctor shrieks and signals to the guards. 

     One of them opens the door forcing me to release my grip on the man, allowing him to stumble backwards whilst coughing. Numerous guards stream into the small cell whipping out their shock batons. The sound of the crackling electricity makes me cringe knowing I have made a massive mistake. 

     I throw the first one to charge in over my shoulder and aim a punch at the next one. In mere seconds they surround me and despite my efforts. Getting hit in the back of the legs causing my knees to buckle. With a blow to the back and I crash to the ground clenching my jaw in pain. 

     Everything gets a little foggy but I manage to make out what appears to be none other than George the punny British boy taking a swing at one of the guards. Though he takes one of them down another punches him once and it was enough to knock him out immediately.

     A few short moments after that it all goes black. 

Sorry, it took so long to update, but it's here now! Side note: I will be editing some of the things in the book so if something does not make sense you may need to reread a few chapters.

-ѕиιρєявαιт