"Stuck With U"

A/N: Hi Wattpad fam! Welcome back! Huge thanks to hannahblue22 for requesting this song. The story is partially based upon season 3, episode 17 "Seeds + Permafrost + Feather." Maybe it'll help us think cool during this heatwave so many of us are experiencing right now! ❄️🌨 I hope you all like it! ☺️
Song: "Stuck With U" by Ariana Grande ft. Justin Bieber
Rating: Everyone

***

You and Mac stand outside a huge, ultra-secure building located somewhere between Norway and the North Pole. It's the Svalbard Global Seed Vault where millions of seeds are kept from countries all over the world.

You're bundled in at least four layers of clothing, and you're still freezing. It's safe to say that this is a mission unlike any other.

"Remind me why seed vaults have to be located in the coldest places on earth?" you ask Mac through chattering teeth.

"The cold and dry climate helps preserve the seeds, and it's in the middle of nowhere in order to keep them safe. Theoretically, this vault is designed to withstand the end of the world. It's actually -18 degrees Celsius inside."

Your eyes widen, and a shiver runs through your body. "Okay, Y/N," you tell yourself out loud, "Just picture you're in the tropics. Oceanside... warm sunshine on your face... sipping a nice cocktail..."

Mac chuckles beside you.

When you finally reach the entrance to the vault, you're greeted by a man who you presume is in charge.

"Hi there, I'm the chief of police here in Svalbard. You must be MacGyver and Y/N. We're so grateful you could be here on such short notice. Ms. Webber said she was sending the very best agents she had."

"We'll do everything we can to help you," Mac promises the man. "Can you tell us everything that you know?"

"One of our employees - his name is Carl - went missing last night. He's a night-time maintenance employee, and he was doing inventory of the stock."

"He was the only one here at the time?" you clarify.

"Yes. There is only one way in and out, and there is a strict security check that every employee has to pass to get through. Our security footage shows him going in just before his shift started, but he never leaves. It's as if he completely vanished."

As the man speaks, he leads you to the main area of the vault, and your jaw nearly drops at the sight of boxes upon boxes of... well... seeds. You've never seen anything quite like it.

Perplexed, you ask the man, "You say there's only one door in and out. What about ventilation shafts?"

"That's not possible. They're too small for even a small child to fit through."

"So," Mac finally affirms, "We have to figure out how someone was able to disappear from a building with no feasible way out."

"What do we do?" you ask him.

"Well, the only way to do this is to put ourselves in the same situation as Carl. We lock ourselves in here until we figure out how to get out."

"Great...." you answer with distaste, another shiver jolting through your body.

"I'm not one to stick around. One strike and you're out, baby. Don't care if I sound crazy, but you never let me down, no, no."

As you and Mac are left alone to search the vault, a comfortable silence falls between you.

You can sense Mac's been wanting to say something. You can just tell, but you try your best to ignore it, knowing good and well what he's going to say.