"Sleeping With The Telephone"

A/N: Hello lovelies! Happy (official) summer! ☀️ This summer may look a bit different for most of us, but it's my hope that we can find a way to make the most of it by doing things that make us happy (which for me comes in the form of writing! 😊). So, I hope you like this new one! Happy reading! 🧡
Song: "Sleeping with the Telephone" by Reba McEntire (ft. Faith Hill)
Rating: Everyone

***

It's early in the evening, and you've been cleaning the house from top to bottom - anything to pass the time of an evening spent alone at home.

As you're finishing up the kitchen floor, the doorbell rings and you answer it, surprised to see your mom on the other side of the door.

She catches your puzzled look and questions, "Did you forget?"

Then, it dawns on you. "Oh gosh! I'm sorry. I didn't realize it's been two weeks already."

"We've been doing this for long enough now. You should be used to it," she jokes.

You and your mom started a new tradition not long after you and Mac got married. Since he's away so much for work, your mom comes over about once every two weeks on a night when Mac is gone, and you spend a mother-daughter game night together. It's her way of trying to keep you company and ease a bit of your anxiety while Mac is gone.

Welcoming her in, you put away all your cleaning supplies. "I was planning on going grocery shopping tomorrow, so I don't know what kind of snacks we have," you apologize while rummaging through the pantry.

"Well, good thing I came prepared, then." She holds up a bag full of your favorite snacks.

You give her a tight hug in gratitude. "What would I do without you?"

"A daughter will always need her mother. That is a tried and true fact."

"I am really glad you're here," you confess with a delicate smile.

"I knew who he was when I took his name. But, somehow knowin' is just not the same late at night. He knows the danger, but he does what he does. He calls it duty, but I call it love. So, here I am while he's gone to some foreign land."

Soon, you both set up the snacks and games, settling in around the dining room table.

"So, any idea where he's off to this time?" your mom asks, referring to Mac's latest escapade.

"I don't know exactly. I just know somewhere international. He left yesterday morning, and I haven't heard from him since. I mean, he usually at least texts me so I know he's okay."

You can't hide your worry no matter how hard you try, but you turn to the game in front of you, trying to distract your mind.

"I know that concerned look in your eyes. But, you need to get out of your own head. He knows what he's doing. You have to have faith in that," your mother pleads with you.

You sigh in frustration and defeat, "I know. Look, I knew what I was getting myself into when I married him. But, that doesn't mean it's not hard when he's gone for days on end and I have no clue where he is, when he's coming back, or when I'll even hear from him next."

"I know, honey. It takes a special kind of person to deal with all this uncertainty. But, you do it well. He knows that, and I also think he knows how lucky he is to have you." She watches as you look down, staring at the wedding ring around your finger - a symbol of your and Mac's undying commitment and fight for one another. She adds, "And I know how much you love each other. Every goodbye just makes every hello that much sweeter."