"Like I Want You"

A/N: Hello all, I hope you're all enjoying this Autumn season. 🍁 Thank you to cardib_2 for
requesting this song by Giveon. I hope you guys enjoy! Happy reading! 📖🤓
Song: "Like I Want You" by Giveon
Rating: Everyone

***Y/N's POV***

"Sometimes I wish you knew. But, I disguise the truth. I say I'm happy, but I'm still stuck on us. Does your mind play this game too? Think 'bout me and you. I guess I'll just pretend until it all makes sense."

"Are you serious, Y/N?"

Mac's intense stare burns through me, the house so quiet and tense that I swear you could hear a tree fall ten miles away. "Does it look like I'm kidding?" I force out in a near-inaudible whisper.

"Where is this even coming from? Yesterday everything was fine. Then, like a switch, here we are."

I force a careless eye roll and insist, "Things haven't been the same between us for a long time. I think we both know it. We just haven't wanted to admit it."

"Is there someone else? Is that what this is all about? Am I not good enough for you?"

My heart leaps into my throat at those words. Am I not good enough? I shake my head. "No. I just think it's time that we move on and give ourselves some space."

I can nearly see the thousands of thoughts leaping through Mac's mind. Was this sudden? Yes. Was it necessary? Absolutely.

"What if I don't want space?" he practically begs, and I can barely stand the feelings rising in my chest at his defeated, puppy dog eyes.

"Well...." I pause, looking down at the ground before forcing myself to meet his yearning baby blues once more. "...I do."

For the first time ever, Mac appears completely deflated. But soon, his jaw clenches, defeat boiling into unsustained anger, "Look me in the eyes and tell me you don't love me. If you can do that, then I'll let you go."

With nothing left to do, I force myself to keep my gaze on him, but stare right through at the same time. I barely choke the words out in a whisper, "I don't love you anymore."

***24 hours ago***

It's just past noon when I'm returning to the house from a long run, pulling the earbuds out of my ears and peeling off the rain jacket that had been shielding me from the light misty rain of the late morning. As I grab a new bottle of vitamin water from the fridge, my phone pings with a new message. I immediately assume it's Matty because it usually is on a Monday. Mac went into work a few hours ago, but our boss said she only needed him for this particular mission. However, this wouldn't be the first time plans have changed.

But, when I check my phone, it's not a message from Matty. Nonetheless, I notice it as an encrypted message with some kind of large file attached to it. With a couple of key strokes, I hack my way past the encryption and instantly recognize this type of message from a mission we had about four months ago involving a cyberterrorist organization.

My heart nearly stops when I see what the hidden file consists of. I have to sit down on the kitchen stool to process it. In this large file at my fingertips is the complete dossier of every single agent at the Phoenix.